First knife out of the new shop!

DJPratt

I am doing a independent study this semester called Anglo-Saxon tools and weaponry in mid-evil England. for this class i had to make a piece that show cases period construction, but didn't necessarily have to be a direct reproduction. so me and ryan (the co owner of the shop) got to work and came up with this

So i took a little liberty with the construction to make something you might have see at that time. i would love to know how close i got?

any way here it is

Steel: 2 billets of pattern welded steel welded on my new press

The top is 32 layers of WI and O1

The Bottom is 144 layers of 5160 and bandsaw blade (the company uses 1095 or 15n20 for there blades according to the sales rep)

Handle: Wild Cherry/ Copper/ Deer antler/ Copper with a hidden tang with no pin (it is set using epoxy and the tang has teeth ground in to it for the Glue to grab on to

knifeblade.jpg

knifehandle.jpg

knifetip.jpg

The pictures are by Ryans wife to be so i cant take credit for them.

So what do you all think? Wana see the WIP shots i have?

Thanks

~~DJ

PS this is me and Ryans First Patternwelded knife so excuse the less than stellar twist on the top billet it was hard to keep even without a twisting wrench.

DJ

That looks really great. Well done!

The twist looks fine dude.

Keep hammering!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Not bad! You captured the spirit well. Difficult steels, too! For your first pattern-weld, good going! It's always amazing how tight you have to get the twist to look right, isn't it? I've twisted a few bars in two over the years... :lol:

It's always amazing how tight you have to get the twist to look right, isn't it?

That's what i was afraid of while i was twisting this one.... it was originally supposed to be a dual cored Chevron twist but i miss judged the amount of steel i would need and under shot my billet size, but i am happy with it!

This is also the first knife i have ever successfully forged bevels in to with out marking beyond repair! man that makes grinding a lot easier and faster!

Thanks

~~DJ

PS: i am sharping (it is just barley sharp enough to badly cut you at this point.... ask me how i know lol) it up tonight. With the 5160 and bandsaw edge it should get wicked sharp

PSS: the pattern is a lot darker in person also

Edited by DJPratt

boy do I envy you for that class, I wish I could take that one itd be great fun, excellent work on the seax

Gnáthamh na hoibre an t-eólas

(Knowledge comes through practice)

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

my site: http://lfcforgeworks.webs.com/

Nice seax! I'm with Alan, I've never gotten some of those steels to stay welded, +1 for difficulty... :) Very impressive for a first patternweld.

Just out of curiosity, how big is it? I'm betting its bigger than it looks...

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

NICE DJ! Am I going to get to see this in person?

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

That's SUPER COOL!! I wish I had classes like that when I was in school! Thanks for showing us.

Thats the cool part of going to Liberal Arts School they let me play with independents studies and i got a 500$ grant for it! That went in the that shiny new KMG in the corner the shop.

NICE DJ! Am I going to get to see this in person?

I am going to have a small gathering out at the shop one weekend in late june. you are more than welcome i will put it up on here.

~~DJ

Edited by DJPratt

DJ that is stunning work, what a nice little seax!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots