Diamond Wakizashi

Chris Moss

Hey everybody

been a while since i posted.. been crazy busy. Working full time going to school, and getting married! this little wakizashi was made as a trade for a diamond, and help assembling my fiancee's ring. I am not sure how many layers the blade is.. and the pedigree of the steel is sketchy...I got sori when i water-quenched, but i didn't get a hamon. *scratches head* The saya is mahogany, the tsuba and habaki were cast in bronze from waxes i made. The menuki are sterling silver, and the ito is silk. My brother with the nice camera got some pictures... i will get some less-abstract photos soon.

i would appreciate your comments and criticisms.

IMG_9991.jpg

IMG_9981.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_0031-2.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

thanks for looking!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

I love the way the different textures work together and play off each other. Perfectly shaped, I love the crispness of the blade bevels.

Well done!

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Do you have photos of the tip Chris. The blade looks beautiful. Thank you for posting

"One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-

16th Century

http://sites.google.com/site/canadianliveblade/home

Chris that is AWESOME dude. I am about to dtart forging again I had a leak on my regulator so I could not forge for a while. But I bought a heavy duty one. So I want to talk to you some day about the casting and wax process. Your not but an hour or so from me. PM me about it

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Do you have photos of the tip Chris. The blade looks beautiful. Thank you for posting

hey,

i dont have any pictures yet, because i prefer to use natural light, and we havent had enough since i finished. (either it has been raining.. or i got home too late to take the pictures.) but i will have some up very soon. i will do my best to take some tommorow.

As for the crisp lines.. thats what happens when you use G10 as a sandpaper backing.

thanks so much!

~chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

Nicely done. Congrats on getting hitched.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Nice looking piece. Congratulations on getting married.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Looks like that one turned out really nice Chris. If there's one thing I learned after seeing some of your work in person though it's that I can pretty safely say the photos aren't doing this piece justice...

-d

thanks guys! i am rather excited to get married myself.. *grins*

the castings were done by Grant Dorangrichia. he goes by Daemon on BladeForums and did a SPECTACULAR job. I did the waxes and really enjoyed working with the wax, but really didnt like the fitting necessary after casting.. i will most likely go back to doing the regular soldered habakis.

i am hoping to finish another sword (so i can wear it) by the time i get married in July, but i am going to be working full time AND taking 12 credits in an 8 week summer class. so i dont know if i am going to have the time to make that happen. So, if not.. then this is the sword i will wear at my wedding! very exciting time. Thanks so much for the encouragement, and as promised, more pictures! enjoy!

Gracieandme010.jpg

Gracieandme012.jpg

Gracieandme005.jpg

Gracieandme003.jpg

Gracieandme018.jpg

Gracieandme015.jpg

Gracieandme019.jpg

thanks for looking!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

I really like the fittings on this piece Chris.Thank you for sharing.

"One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-

16th Century

http://sites.google.com/site/canadianliveblade/home