"Water, or ice or winter"

umbo

here is the first of 5 knives, the subject is "the five elements".

Each element has a different damascus pattern, a different shape for the blade, a color a gemstone.

"water" represent winter and ice, her color is blue, with a sapphire,and blue amber (photo doesn't show the color of the amber...)

Woman is carved on white mammoth ivory.

eau.jpg

eau19.jpg eau18.jpg

eau16.jpg eau17.jpg

• Like 1

Greg

www.elfic.fr

Man, your work is amazing. I see the artistic potential in this piece, but how solid is it in terms of the different materials and how they are fitted together? Just curiousity, in no way a critique.

Joe

- the Student

That's crazy beautiful.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Beautiful. wonderful details. I eagerly anticipate the next one, I wonder witch element it will be. Thank you for sharing. ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

Beautiful work! The blade looks great too :D

Edited by jrassett

J Anderson R

" Fools live to regret there words, wise men to regret there silence"- Will Henry

For a cold thing like Water shes Hot :P

Sorry I had too! Really beautiful work, I can't wait to see the rest.

Alba Ghu Bra

Brent LaCroix

Thanks at all!

how solid is it in terms of the different materials and how they are fitted together?

the solidity is always the solidity of ivory...but the blade is fitted like a "classic" knife, with forged tang. The tang goes through the hands of the women.

eau9.jpg

Is it chatoyance in the pattern-weld or is there a "knapped" texture on the blade

sorry , I don't understand "knapped "...

For the pattern, I made a 250 layers blade, then I ground the crisal pattern with the belt grinder, and I re forged the blade. The blade i realy flat , the pattern is "inside" the damascus...(sorry, I don't find the good words in english)

here is a view of the two sides of the blade

eau11.jpg

Greg

www.elfic.fr

Oh, wow! :blink::blink::blink:

It all just makes a perfect package! That's VERY cool (pun intended ;) ) how you did the pattern in the steel. I'd have never thought of that. Of course, it took me a long time to get around to looking at the steel instead of the ivory... :lol:

That's amazing work. Like Alan, I didn't really notice the steel because of the ivory carving. But that damascus is really beautiful. Fabulous work.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Excellent. Thanks, that looks pretty solid. Again, beautiful work.

Joe

- the Student

sorry , I don't understand "knapped "...

For the pattern, I made a 250 layers blade, then I ground the crisal pattern with the belt grinder, and I re forged the blade. The blade i realy flat , the pattern is "inside" the damascus...(sorry, I don't find the good words in english)

"knapped" would be roughly/deeply textured effect like a stone knife

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?sh...&hl=knapped

But I now see what you have there is some nice deep chatoyance IN the flats of the blade. Very nice, Greg, very beautiful, skilled work! :)

Greg, knapped refers to the appearance and texture of stone blades like an arrow head where the rock is chipped away.

As for the blade, you can say the way the pattern looks in the image is because of the chatoyancy, which is how the pattern appeares to move on the blade - the shimmer.

Great looking knife =]

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

You don't need good english to describe your work..... It speaks for itself.....

TRES BIEN !!!!!!!! sorry for my lack of good french ..... your website is TRES BIEN as well....

thanks for the peek

dick

Beautiful. That is a wonderful expression of your concept. I really thank you for showing it. Most people dont realize that those of us who are into making knives generally have as much in common with a sculptor as a martial artist. Or at least, we mix a lot of art into our craft.

thanks,

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thanks at all! and thanks for the explanations about "knapped"

I think I have pictures of the step by step of the blade if someone want...

Or at least, we mix a lot of art into our craft.

yes, knife can be a lot of things...weapon, tool, sculpture. Today, we dissociate all this fonctions, 10 centuries ago, it was the same thing...a knife was used for a lot of things and could be carved ..."Art" is a modern concept...

here is the beginning of the blade of the second element :Air

Air, wind, automn, yellow...

it's a single twist on 120 layers damascus.

lameair.jpg

Greg

www.elfic.fr

woot!!!! a metal shaman!!!! that blade is art and energy !!!!! amazing!

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...