the MAD Dwarf Workshop 2009 Open Workshop event

Well this is probably later notice than it should be... But better late than never:

I thought I would let you guys know that on Saturday May 9th Andy and I are hosting an open workshop day at our shop.

madevent.jpg

It honestly will be more of a kind of open house than a traditional hammerin... Mainly held for the friends family and people who have emailed us from far and wide asking if they could ever visit our shop, only for us to unfortunately reply "you wouldn't want to the way it looks at the moment!..."

But its clean now! haha

So nevertheless its nontraditional hammerin structure we would LOVE for any of you guys here on the forum to attend and possibly even demo or show of your work if you wish!?

As it stands now it is looking like we will have well over 50 people, mainly consisting of non bladesmiths. And the number of attendees will most likely grow.

It will start at 2:00 pm with the current events scheduled

And events & activities for the day as of now include:

- Forging for all to try in one of our 4 forges.
    - Simple twisted tang blacksmith/railroad knife forging demos
    - A sword heat treating demo from Andy and I (hope we don't screw up...)
    - A gallery of past and present works of the MAD dwarf Workshop
    - A special selection of unique brand new (not seen online) MAD Dwarf Workshop blades for sale
    - Live music from our good friend & musician Shad Peters
    - A live screening of movies such as "Reclaiming the Blade" and "the Birth of a Sword"
    - Free food off the grill and drinks!
    - Awesome folks to meet and fellowship with
    - And much much more!...

So if any guys here from the forum would be able to stop by, we could GLADLY use an extra set of knowledgeable and skilled hands to help teach and guide newbies both young and old who are at the forge for the first time!

That would be greatly appreciated.

Our 4 forge setups will include:

Our indoor "Chile Forge" gas forge

Our classic old charcoal oven forge indoors (seen on our site)

An outdoor coal forge

And our simple floor level sword heat treating forge. ( which could be used outside if anyone wants to rough it primitive style forging on their knees)

The cookout will be held right outside our shop doors on the freshly cut lawn which will also be where the movies will be shown for those who are interested to watch them.

It will really be a free, open, lively atmosphere with plenty to do.

So overall it should be a great day (Lord willing it does not rain as our shop is only so big) :unsure:

*If you would be able to attend PLEASE RSVP by PMing me and letting me know you are coming.

And when you PM me I will provide you with directions to our shop.

I really appreciate it, Hope to see some of you guys there!

God Bless

Dave D.

Andy D.

- M A D -

Edited by David D3

Sounds awesome guys.

I would have tried to make it if I'd known about it a little earlier.

Have fun and be safe.

--Dave

PS -- Paranoid business guy mode: If you have a bunch of noobs around red hot steel and hot oil, grinders, etc. you may want to have everyone sign a liability waiver. Such things don't keep someone from filing a lawsuit, but may provide you with a better defense if someone does.

PM Sent. Hope to see you there Aldai! :)

If anyone else is interested in stopping by that day and contributing to the activity please let me know!

We would love to have you.

David and Andy, thanks so much for hosting. Its always great to see another craftsman's shop and methods. Jeff and I were highly impressed as much by your actual swords as by your ingenuity and commitment to craftsmanship. All together an excellent afternoon.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for attending guys!!! :)

It was awesome to have Adlai come and share his talent and teach some eager excited newbs how to forge, as well as display some of his awesome work!

We hope to hold other events in the future, possibly more geared towards bladesmiths as a traditional hammerin with organized demo's instead of mass fun chaos... hahaha :D

Picture of the day are soon to come!

Here are a few photos from the day:

Andy forging some wrought chain:

madevent1.jpg

madevent2.jpg

My little bro (brown shirt) teaching some of my friends how to forge:

madevent3.jpg

Our friend Jon's first time forging... he was a bit excited. haha

madevent4.jpg

Some awesome work from our very own Adlai! who was kind enough to stop by and share his knowledge and work:

madevent5.jpg

I -wish- I was there!

Andy, David, Have I mantioned recently that I hate you guys :) I went home and started forging out a Langseax after seeing the killer swords you guys have done. This is gonna be my first sword and it's all your fault!!!! :lol:

Andy, David, Have I mantioned recently that I hate you guys :) I went home and started forging out a Langseax after seeing the killer swords you guys have done. This is gonna be my first sword and it's all your fault!!!! :lol:

Hahaha :D its an honor to be hated by you Adlai!!!... ;)

Cant wait to see how it turns out. And cannot wait until your hammerin!

thanks to share your pictures !

it likes as a very great and good day!!!

congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you boys have another event sometime. I would to plan ahead and make it out next time. Looks like you fellas had a blast. Glad it went well.