One of the 'benefits' of having your own drill press/lathe/mill etc is the endless supply of swarf in all shapes and sizes. I had a few pounds of curly steel on the shop floor and wanted to find a use for it. I have used it for reinforcing concrete but as I didn't have any building projects underway I needed to find a new way of disposing of it.

Here's some swarf:

IMG_0440.JPG

As it's mainly mild steel I needed to add some carbon, hopefully this is carbon in my chimney:

PICT0239.JPG

Add a slack handful of carbon to a scoop of swarf:

IMG_0447.JPG

Fill a sterile heat resistant container with the mixture and then compact with my patent compacting device:

IMG_0458.JPG

Seal the container:

IMG_0459.JPG

And apply heat:

IMG_0446.JPG

Remove from heat and hit with a hammer:

IMG_0461.JPG

Apply more heat then hit with a powerhammer:

IMG_0462.JPG

Repeat previous step:

IMG_0463.JPG

Remove outer container and shape billet with hammer:

IMG_0450.JPG

Shape further under the powerhammer, grind it flat and hey presto, your swarf is a block of steel again!

IMG_0466.JPG

But is it mild steel, carbon steel or cast iron?

I quenched the billet in water, placed it in a vice and hit it with a hammer and it snapped cleanly. So a bean tin full mild steel swarf + a slack handfull of black stuff out of the flue + heat + pressure = carbon steel.

IMG_0552_1_.jpg

I love the sterile, heat resistant container, and the compacting devise.

Did you fold it before the last image? Looks like its been folded a few times....

I have a pile of little cut-offs from ends of tangs and general screw-ups, might have to give this a try.

Awesome, would love to see if that etches out into something interesting.

You need to keep us posted if you make a knife out of this billet.

Chris

Waste not...

ultra cool... did that ever weld up... ... !

i tried doin that with a motor bike chain... just went to hell on me.. the hole didn't weld up so good... but all i had was hand hammers and noodle arms.. :lol:

G

That is great to see, I have also used it together with cut offs butnot for a cutting edge, it worked great, try it with some stainless swarf in there as well I have seen some amazing results.

Always been looking at all the grinding dust each time I sweep up, there is hell of a lot of magnetic stuff and I have been saving some of it just for that purpose.

Richard

I just ordered a lathe the other day. And as soon as I started thinking about what I was going to do with it, the whole swarfmascus thing popped into my mind, too. Except I like to thing of it as swarfahagane! Make sure you post a shot of how it etches out...

That is pretty freaking genius!... :)

Great Idea! Actually, I'd been thinking along those same lines for awhile now but have never taken the initiative, but my plan was to take the grindings from my cooling bucket (a five gallon plastic bucket),placed under the grinder. every few months or so (unless I drop somthing and have to go fishing for it), I'll take a big magnet on a wire and pull up literally pounds and pounds of fine metal grindings, nearly all high carbon from the knives I make, and I generally toss them out, but I'd been thinking lately that it would be cool to recycle this stuff in the same way, maybe even adding some 1095 metal powder to the mix, and see what happens, and now seeing this thread I believe I'll give it a try. If anything it will etch and make good looking guards and buttcaps. Wes

Edited by WES

that is unbeliaveble. I'm curious to see how does it look when etched.

I tried once with grinding dust, but I think that it was mostly iron oxide (and some corundum maybe). The result was similar to Ferodo, the stuff used for brakes, extremely hard and wear resistant, but very different from steel.

Hi. This is amazing. It definitely looks like an interesting alternative methodology for backyard steel making which is competitive with blister steel. Actually, blister steel is too labor and energy intensive.

How does the spark test look?

• 3 weeks later...