emergencie question

it was very ignorant of me to wait until now to ask but my blade is in the forge waiting for a clay quench and this is my first try with oil. i finally got some because my friend's dad is a car mechanic. anyway, what should I expect when i submerge the blade? does it ignite, if so can you put it out by putting a metal sheet or something over the bucket of oil? thanks. once again excuse my ignorance.

I would imagine that is bad. water does not put it out right?

water would be a bad move. just submerge the whole blade and the flames should go out by themselves. and wear a glove, or lose the hair on your tong hand.

The more mass to the blade, the more likely it is to flair. Keep a metal lid for it (do not use a plastic quench tank btw, found that one out myself) that will give a relatively tight seal, and keep it close... do the quench thing, and when the blade has cooled enough to set down, the cover will quickly snuff out the fire. It doesn't have to be fancy, a piece of sheet metal will work.

good luck with the quenching!

Yes it will ignite keep the blade moving but also keep it under the oil do not lift it out till its cool dont worry about the oil it will stop burning as the blade cools but protect your hands keep face and body away if the can get burnt i have done Katana in oil with no big problems its just an initial reaction dont try to put it out unless it its realy burning things a wet towel will kill it not dripping water just wet fully cover the tank . bucket make sure the oil covers the blade fully dont use the steel cover as oil vapor can build up and cause a flash explosion that was bad advice and the guy should stop doing it Iv been there done that and belive me its not good the wet towel lets the vapor through but not air in the heat makes it a one way prosess gas out

cheers tell

Edited by tell

thanks for the help! i hope it works, i'll tell ya if it does. gloves, snuffer, metal tank, fire extinguisher for emergencies. =) nope i don't die :lol:

i'm alive! it burst into flames and people around me panicked but I nonchalantly blew it out. so far no hamon, think i'm using crappy steel =(