Michael Pikula

Offering to forge down your W2 or other stock

Hey guys,

I thought that I would offer to forge down stock for those who don't have access to a power hammer or a press. I know Don is selling W2 in 2 1/8" round which can be a large task to tackle by hand and my hammer can get it done fairly quick and consistent. If you are interested please shoot me a PM and we can talk about price which will depend on quantity. Also I can forge other alloys that you may have and would like forged into flat stock.

Please keep in mind that shipping will be more expensive since it will be shipped in a longer tube, or it can be cut down as requested. I also have a set of fullering dies that I have been able to use on my 1.25 inch L6 to get about 2 inch by 1/4 stock without a problem. I will double normalize after forging and prior to shipping and can have it back in the mail to you a day after I get the stock.

Thanks!

Michael, this is a very good service! Lot of big W2 out there :)

Thanks Don! I figured if I can help a few people out and have a "good" excuse to be on the hammer it is win win. Hopefully folks who didn't want to forge down the large W2 will be able to purchase some as well.

For pricing on the W2, I can forge one bar for $20, or the whole box for $60, to your dimensions. Also then I can cut it into whatever length you would like for shipping purposes, no point in sending a 6 foot tube if you only need 1 foot blanks.

Edited by Michael Pikula

Mike what size hammer are you running? I coulda sword you mentioned it at Kerry and Matt's..........

Hi Sam, I am runnning a 165lb. Striker one piece.

Also you can have Don send the steel directly to me in order to save on shipping. Just let him know when you send payment and get in touch with me to let me know what size stock you would like me to forge.

Thanks!

Michael, one box headed your way, for Mike Snody.

Thanks,

Edited by Don Hanson

Two more headed your way, for Brian. Hope you like to forge :blink::)

Three boxes are forged and set to go. I have rethought my prices after going through the first run and think I under priced the amount of work this would take. I will still honor the first price through the end of this week, May 16, after that the price will be $100 per box and the stock size for forging will be your choice of 1"+- or 1.5"+- with a thickness of 3/8 +- Other sizes can be worked out at additional cost.

I don't like to change prices but the job is much bigger then I first counted on.

Thanks!

Edited by Michael Pikula

It is alot of work, Michael and $100 per box is still a bargain! I find it much easier to cut the bars into shorter section for forging. But you'll need to figure out how long to cut to get the finished size / length.

Thanks for doing this!

I wish you had this deal going when I ordered a box of W2 from Don. I is a bit tedious hammering out a blade, but I suppose it'll make the end result that much more meaningful.....or at least that is what i keep telling myself.

Michael, you must be super mellow after a day of beating out frustration working down 2 inch on the powerhammer :)

Got my steel today (okay, Friday--it's still Fri. night to me), it all arrived safe and sound. Looks great, I'm surprised how reasonably even (flat) each bar is. Gotta get my next two "projects" out of the way so I can start playin' with it... Thanks Don and Michael!

Still a good deal. The only forge I can find around here that isn't military/industrial sized has a Blu Max 155. They want $95 an hour for shop time, and they aren't even sure they want to do that. I don't think they use their hammer much. The big Chicago steel works have no interest in a job this small.

So, I'll say it again, this is a great deal.

Thanks guys! Brian I am happy to hear that the bars reached you no problem and that everything is up to par. I do all of my forging free hand and by eye, I have a set of cheapo calipers that I set to he size that I need and forge as close to that as I can. I have thought about making spacers for the dies but haven't done much in that direction yet, I know tooling time pays off in the long run but don't have the time to invest up front at the moment.

Got one box here and another on its way for Doug, I'll try to get on top of it on Thursday or Wednesday.

Sam, I sure am super mellow, but also in need for a goooood massage. Swinging those "little" bars around sure can do a little number on your back! Maybe I should start stretching before forging....

Michael, Mike Snody wants you to forge another box of W2. He's waiting to hear back from you before I send.

I can ship today, but will be headed to the Blade show tomorrow and out of touch until June 1st.

Thanks,

One box headed your way today.

Thanks,

Don

A great service, thanks a lot.

This gets a highly recomended from me if you have big stock that needs squished down.

Another box headed your way Monday, Michael.

Would be good if you could list your location and email address in this thread.

Thanks,

Edited by Don Hanson

Thanks for the heads up Don!

Here is my address, if you know who to message to get it off a junk mail list that would be awesome, also you can send cookies and beef jerky too:

Michael Pikula

1199 State Road 21

Friendship, WI 53934

Volund Forge@hotmail.com (with no space between the words)

Also since Don is getting to the bottom of his W2 supply and I'm too poor to buy another box I'm having a will forge for steel sale, I'll take the first person up on the offer, if you have a box coming my way I'll forge it and send it out free of charge if you get a box for me as well. It's around $100 for the forge work, and shipping has been about $35-$45 so it's about an even trade...

Edited by Michael Pikula

Michael, two boxes headed your way. One is for you, as payment for forging the other. Details will be in the boxes.

Thanks,

Don

How many feet of bar stock is being produced by forging down one box from Don to the 1.5x3/8 dimension?