how do you sign the tang of a sword?

hey, yes my questions have spanned here too. what tools would a person use to sign the nagako (tang) of a sword? where do you buy cold chisels? i believe my name spelled out in katakana is クリント (kurinto) so could i write that followed by 作 (made this)

well as far as cold chisels you can buy a set from lowes for 20 bucks. there are like 4 or 5 of them.

as far as what to sign... no clue, i would use a sharpie and write in wingdings

I dont think it looks silly. I mean you have to use the katakana because there is no work for "clint" in Japanese. Again i dont know anything about these types of blades but i dont know who would laugh at you when i see plenty of signed blades on this site.

The chisel to do this is a relatively simple thing (not special at all), with a nearly 90 degree edge, and you use one end of it (the cutting edge), tapping and moving along to make whatever shape stroke you want to. By varying the angle and the strength of the blow with the hammer, it is possible with practice to make near any shape. But it is a dent into the steel, displacing metal, not a cut removing material from the blade.

If anyone cares in a hundred years, there will likely be arguments over my signature, as it varies considerably, depending on the day, the chisel's condition, and mine.

My advice is to keep it as simple as possible. Kanji is more "traditional" than katakana, but there is likely no literal translation for your given name with kanji.

Practice with a brush and ink is also recommended. Good luck, I think it's a god idea, if you are planning to make katana. :)

Yes, Howard is quite a resource to take to heart. You are welcome to try cold-chisels, but I have personally found them useless. Unless, of course, you re-grind them. My current set of "mei" chisels are home-made of hardened 1060. Even so, they are not very good (or more likely, I am not very good). I don't know how you got katakana to show up here, but my present sig is (theoretically, based on bi-directional translations) "Red Left-handed," in kanji. "Redneck Leftie" takes 4-5 Kanji plus a katakana, and I'm too lazy, especially while I'm on the hamon hunt...but I have no "loose" blades...

Thanks,

thanks for all the help guys =) . i think i can make a cold chisel set with the materials i have. my bench grinder is pretty good for improvised tools. i was going to try practicing japanese calligraphy for the occasion. definitely going to practice.

Howard, I got a bunch of 1/4 inch music wire. That stuff really comes in handy. I have 25 or so 36" rods, which is good for many many chisels. I made some wood chisels for saya making and a graver like chisel for signing. It works really well, and I can even get nice little curls and leaves like I would with an engraving point.

1/4 wire is a good size for making small tools. It hardens easily in water.

http://www.smallparts.com/s/16414431?refin...ved=0.25+inches