Sign in to follow this  
Tim92

Handle help

Hey all,

I have been working on this knife on and off for the past couple of months. I have the blade heat treated and the guard fitted but not filed down and polished (first attempt at a guard). I have gotten to the point where I need to start thinking about the handle. The only problem is I have no idea what the shape should be and what I should use for the material. I believe I have some antler I could use and I also have a assortment of wood avalible. (Maple, Oak, Walnut? maybe.) I'm asking you guys cause this is the first knife of mine that I really like and don't want to mess it up. Soo here is a picture of the knife.

Copy_of_2009_05_05_0541.jpg

Edited by Tim92

Hey all,

I have been working on this knife on and off for the past couple of months. I have the blade heat treated and the guard fitted but not filed down and polished (first attempt at a guard). I have gotten to the point where I need to start thinking about the handle. The only problem is I have no idea what the shape should be and what I should use for the material. I believe I have some antler I could use and I also have a assortment of wood avalible. (Maple, Oak, Walnut? maybe.) I'm asking you guys cause this is the first knife of mine that I really like and don't want to mess it up. Soo here is a picture of the knife.

Hey Tim,

The best way that I have found is to trace your blade onto paper and just star drawing different handles until you come up with one you like. If you have antler trace it on to see if you like the look. Wade

Hey Wade,

I never thought of doing that. That is a really good idea!

Thanks, Tim

Something else I like doing when drawing the handle out like mentioned above if I'm not finding something I like is to use the blade itself as a "straightedge/curve set" to draw the handle. You end up with lines in the handle that are drawn directly from the blade so helps tie them together.

Something else I like doing when drawing the handle out like mentioned above if I'm not finding something I like is to use the blade itself as a "straightedge/curve set" to draw the handle. You end up with lines in the handle that are drawn directly from the blade so helps tie them together.

I never thought of doing that, it's really a great idea!

I get a very medieval feel from that blade. Here's what I would think would look nice:

mockupj.png

A darker wood, wrapped with leather lace, or a lighter wood wrapped with leather lace then boiled to harden and darken the leather. The knob at the end could be a different piece of anything. A metal may look nice there, or just a continuation of wood.

I get a very medieval feel from that blade. Here's what I would think would look nice:

mockupj.png

A darker wood, wrapped with leather lace, or a lighter wood wrapped with leather lace then boiled to harden and darken the leather. The knob at the end could be a different piece of anything. A metal may look nice there, or just a continuation of wood.

Thanks for the idea Kurt, but I think know what I'm going to do with it. I found a nice piece of antler for it and I think its gonna look nice. I'll post some pictures when I get it finished. Which could be awhile. <_<

Tim

Please do, that sounds amazingly nice.

I used to use modeling clay if I got really stuck. If nothing else a nice set of French curves and grid paper works well.

How large is the blade? You have a great start on the blade.

The blade is just over 8"s long.

Tim

I think antler could look really good on it but I think I would trim the guard down a bit. I really like the blade though and cant wait to see what you do with it.

The blade looks great, but yeah, I would trim down the guard also.