Kevin in NY TIMES, catching liars

Greetings Everyone,

I am sharing this here, even though I don't really know if it is appropriate.

However, this group forms sort of a community, and this is one of the biggest things that has happened to me. Other than marriage, graduations, etc.

So, here is a link to tomorrow's NY TImes article that features my colleagues and me in how to detect deception.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/science/12lying.html

I apologize if this is not appropriate for the forum, and I understand if someone removes it.

Kevin

Kevin, how much neurolinguistic underlayment is there in your process?

NONE! There are some cognitive reasons why things work the way they do, but we just analyze speech content. No gadgets, no machines except a recorder and computer (and we are trying to get past them!).

We use the most basic of tools, which is why a lot of people are interested. All you need is a TRANSCRIPT of a properly-conducted interview about a specific period of time. I can teach you how to know if the person who is anwering is hiding anything or not, making some or all of it up, etc.

Kevin

I used to watch to see if their lips were moving. Works every time. -Art

Ha Ha ha!

The real stat is that most people lie daily. Men lie less than women, but when men lie it is to save their own ass. Women tend to lie to make people feel better or to preserve group unity.

The more social skill you have, the more you lie. The smarter and better adjusted psychologically you are, the more you lie. You lie to make people feel good, keep your groups together, and whenever you are faced with a situation that you don't like and lying seems to be the easiest way to deal with it.

Like, you want to work on a knife but you should be working extra hours. So, you tell your boss you are sick or leaving town, and then you forge away.

I am glad you guys found this interesting. This is the thing I do besides learning to make knives.

Kevin

The more social skill you have, the more you lie. The smarter and better adjusted psychologically you are, the more you lie. You lie to make people feel good, keep your groups together, and whenever you are faced with a situation that you don't like and lying seems to be the easiest way to deal with it.

Another of the myriad reasons I isolate myself and work alone. ;)

Can we change your name to Columbo, Kev? :D

Sounds fascinating ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey Kevin,

The article makes for an interesting read. How do you think your technique will work on intelligent sociopaths (which would be the majority of sociopaths that I've run into in my life)? When reading the article, I was reminded of a guy with whom I went to college. He was very smart and also an amazing liar. It was a frightening combination in hindsight, but of course I didn't realize the nature of his pathology until I became more educated. He would make up details of his story ahead of time that were absolutely fantastic, and those details added greatly to the credibility of his story. I never conducted an interview as meticulous as that described by the article, but I would bet this guy could outfox most people with his combination of audacity and detail. By the way, he is now an orthopedic surgeon....for whatever that is worth. Keep up the good work - both with knives and psychology!

George

Edited by george ranier

Very interesting. Admittedly, throughout the entire article I was thinking about what it would mean if I was the one being interrogated, which is not outside the boundary of reality, and what it would mean for me. I mean, I'm a hippie. I do illegal activities often, but nothing harmful to anybody, although I could likely be interrogated and jailed for it.

What you need to do next is find a way to tell people performing harmless crimes and people breaking laws with intent, and then separating all the laws to accommodate this new finding.

The more social skill you have, the more you lie.

Truer words have never been spoken. (I strive to always tell the truth, often times quite bluntly)

I have a real short memory so it makes me lousey at telling a lie.Better off just tell the truth and let it end there.... Tim

Here's a scenario:

You're out with your friends. Just hanging, loitering, I'm sure you all know how it is. Sure, you get high every month or two, but you like to be prepared, so you always carry your weed on you when you go out. A cop comes by...

You tell ME lying isn't the best option there. I dunno about you but I'd rather spend a semester learning than a semester in jail because I told the truth to a cop. (Cops are the one exception to my rule of blunt honesty)

But alas, I've sidetracked this. The point is Kevin is now in a major newspaper. He can now catch a thief in a lie with his techniques, then stab him with a razor sharp knife he made.

In self defense, of course.

Here's a scenario:

You're out with your friends. Just hanging, loitering, I'm sure you all know how it is. Sure, you get high every month or two, but you like to be prepared, so you always carry your weed on you when you go out. A cop comes by...

You tell ME lying isn't the best option there. I dunno about you but I'd rather spend a semester learning than a semester in jail because I told the truth to a cop. (Cops are the one exception to my rule of blunt honesty)

But alas, I've sidetracked this. The point is Kevin is now in a major newspaper. He can now catch a thief in a lie with his techniques, then stab him with a razor sharp knife he made.

In self defense, of course.

Kurt,

actually, one of the main reasons I do what I do is because the COP IS MOST LIKELY TO LIE IN THE SCENARIO YOU DESCRIBED. 87% OF EVIDENCE PRESENTED IN DRUG CASES IS DECEPTIVE OR ILLEGALLY OBTAINED, BUT THE CJ SYSTEM ACTS LIKE IT IS VALID. THERE IS A MUCH HIGHER CHANCE THAT A COP IS LYING THAN THAT THE DEFENDANT IS LYING. Welcome to America. If our legal system worked, you could tell the truth. It is not legal to search you without probable cause.

Trust me, this is precisely correct. Sorry if someone out there doesn't believe me, or doesn't want this to be true. It just is. Please don't give me counter arguments. If what I said is offensive or shocking, then try to accommodate your mind to it, or better yet, help me change it. But, don't kill the messenger.

Kevin

Kevin, at one time i would have probably thought different to your claims.

but..... coming from someone who is having to attend court tomorrow .. let me just say:

its not just America.

*sigh*

:(

Kevin, at one time i would have probably thought different to your claims.

but..... coming from someone who is having to attend court tomorrow .. let me just say:

its not just America.

*sigh*

:(

Dee - best of luck. Hope the judge is a bladesmith or something!

take care,

Kevin

Kurt,

actually, one of the main reasons I do what I do is because the COP IS MOST LIKELY TO LIE IN THE SCENARIO YOU DESCRIBED. 87% OF EVIDENCE PRESENTED IN DRUG CASES IS DECEPTIVE OR ILLEGALLY OBTAINED, BUT THE CJ SYSTEM ACTS LIKE IT IS VALID. THERE IS A MUCH HIGHER CHANCE THAT A COP IS LYING THAN THAT THE DEFENDANT IS LYING. Welcome to America. If our legal system worked, you could tell the truth. It is not legal to search you without probable cause.

Trust me, this is precisely correct. Sorry if someone out there doesn't believe me, or doesn't want this to be true. It just is. Please don't give me counter arguments. If what I said is offensive or shocking, then try to accommodate your mind to it, or better yet, help me change it. But, don't kill the messenger.

Kevin

LOL that happened to some friends of mine. The cops were there for a barking dog and said that a bag of weed was in plain view on the counter so they locked the scene and came back with a warrant and a video camera. The camera was their undoing because when it got to court, the video clearly showed a box of baggies and a sandwich on the counter. There was about $10 worth of pot found that the cops said was in the baggy on the counter but my friend's son said it was his and that it was hidden in his shoe in the closet.

It turned out that one of the cops had an earlier altercation with the kid when he was off duty and it was probably him that had called in the "barking dog" complaint himself. The judge referred to the cop as Barney Fife LOL

Kevin, that's a very interesting article. Would you be willing to share your methods with us? I know I'd certainly like to learn more about it.

Bob, its not a secret or anything. I work with depts of justice and defense sometimes, and some of them get mad from time to time, but... I am a scientist, and I publish in the public domain.

google Kevin Colwell and Deception and you will get a few psych articles.

Glad you are interested. This is the thing I do when I am not tring to learn to make knives.

Kevin

Kevin,

My family has a long history of law enforcement members. My Gran dad was a Federal Marshal. My Mum was the first female cop in Alaska. My bro is currently a detective in my area.

I remember riding along several times. reading faces of suspects and collaborating with my brother on who is lying, and who is not.

One, (out of many), traits that I raise the red flag, is someone who laughs and talks at the same time. They ALWAYS are trying to hide something.

Another thing I loath, is false humility. Those who say they are nice, and act nice, but are really quite insecure...

Interesting, law enforcement.

Wow,

Your mother was the first female cop in Alaska! That is really cool.

Don't infer from what I said about police and deception that I automatically dislike ALL cops or anything.

My father in law is a retired Penn state trooper, and my colleague who helped me develop this - her father was a high ranking Sherriff in Wayne County Michigan (Detroit).

I dislike a system that puts pressure on people to be dishonest or cut corners. The individual officers are often just doing the best they can under a lot of pressure to get confessions without the same amount of pressure to find out what actually happened or protect individual rights. A large number of them don't like this situation, and really want to have more time with each case or equal incentive to clear as to convict.

It has to do with economic issues more than individual dishonesty or anything like that.

Glad to have your comments.

Take care,

Kevin