THAT"S why I saved it

Geoff Keyes

I think blacksmiths are all magpies. We see shiny (or rusty) metal, and we have to take it home an stick it in the pile. Then we can crouch over it and rasp our scaly talons together and chuckle, deep in our throats...ah, my preciousssss.

Sorry, got a little far afield, there.

When we moved my Lady Wife from her place, there was a chunk of rusty 3/8ths plate with a big hole in it, and four 3/8ths holes around the big hole, in the barn. I don't know what it was for, and Marianne said it came with the place when she bought it. A mount for something.

I brought it home, and threw it into the pile. Today I finished prepping three piece for HT and decided to work on a mount for the pump for the press. I looked at the pump and the piece of plate jumped to mind. I walked right to it and, behold, the big hole is EXACTLY the size of the flange on the pump and the mounting holes line up PERFECTLY with the mounting holes on the flange. I couldn't have done better if I'd have had it cut to fit :lol: .

Marianne (who is used to me dragging home chunks of steel) just wanted to know how I even thought to try it out.

Dragons know every single groat in their hoard...precioussssss

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

your lucky, I have lost girlfriends because of the arguments that ensued after I loaded up a particularly large piece of metal in the trunk

My fiance has actually brought me home some metal on several occasions.

I have heard that those who celebrate life walk safely amongst the wild animals.

When they go into battle, they remain unharmed, the animals find no place to attack them

and weapons are unable to harm them.

Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Shamanic Proverb

my family and friends are on constant lookout for metal for me.

i have friends come back from flea markets and hand over old files .. or scrap bits of this and that.

my mum used to pick up all the odd bits of metal from around the place when she went gold detecting.

my dad used to say that she was slowly cleaning up australia and dirtying my workshop.

it was a constant struggle to get my scrap section moved here to the new place .. everytime i had to fight my dad ..

"no, really ... i NEED that to come with me"

"no, you cant throw that away"

"JUNK?! ... what are you calling junk ..................

........its ok .. the big bad man didnt mean it"

good score on your mounting :)

^_^

...geez talons are hard to type with.

deeDWF4.jpg

My approach to building machinery or tools is to drag out all the piece/parts/stuff that I think might be useful, throw it in a pile in the middle of the shop floor, and stir until it pops out of the pile. Sometimes incantations and potions are required. ;)

Blacksmiths, the world's first recyclers. When this affliction is really bad, I can start to remember where interesting bits of iron or steel are laying in my buddy's scrap pile....

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

Odds are that I will make the bit and THEN find the bit of scrap that was perfect..........

I have piles of crap around and then it snows before i dig out the interesting bits.

Insult to injury.....the new owners of the local scrap yard no longer let me roam around and they refuse to sell anything off the yard...even at tripple scrap price.

Good score with the mounting plate!

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Dragons know every single groat in their hoard...precioussssss

Geoff

Sssssssss.......Precioussssssssssss.

Well Said Geoff. The old style junkyard guys, and even some surviving ones, used to know they're yards down to the bolts and nuts, while it seemed no one else could even see the slightest inkling of a method to the madness.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Sssssssss.......Precioussssssssssss.

Well Said Geoff. The old style junkyard guys, and even some surviving ones, used to know they're yards down to the bolts and nuts, while it seemed no one else could even see the slightest inkling of a method to the madness.

I use scrap for cross guards and pommels

Practice random acts of Viking

• 3 weeks later...

I scavage my woods for metal all the time and my shop is piled high with rebar and pieces that I know are good steel but have no idea what the origanal purpose was.For some reason my aunt dosn`t get excited when I drag something else into the yard.She just calls it ugly and has the nerve to wonder why I get defensive. <_<

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

It seems to be a common affliction :D Should we start a support group or something? I have coffee cans full of little bits because they will be great for making arrowheads(I've yet to make an arrow LOL)

1 in 5 people are muslims. What do you know about Islam?

• 1 month later...

We have a coffee can full of bolts, nails, tang cut-offs and the like, for damascus, but we have yet to have a succesful weld :lol:

Isaiah, wht do you mean your shop, It's dad's shop.

Matthew Dempsey
Archangel Blades
archangel.knives@gmail.com
Ironwork
Custom Knives

https://www.facebook.com/archangel.blades

I pick up every bit of scrap. Wood, metal etc. I'm running out of places to stack it all, but I keep grabbing it anyway. Eventually all of it will be used for Something.

I have big structural I beams, flanges from massive steam pipes, 1" plates of various sizes, giant chains, rail tie plates, rods, spikes, and many bits I can't figure out.

But you're right, I can almost remember every piece I've picked up.

So far all of our damascus is made from scrap. Who says you need clean steel for pattern welding...ban saw blades and old straps work perfectly! Anyone who has been to our shop knows what scrap metal looks like piled everywhere. I cant seem to throw anything away.

Funney becuase I used to beg Kerry to throw stuff away and I would do it when he turned his back and he would get so mad at me. I never understood it untill recently.

I have turned into what I made fun of the most... a magpie!