Newest Ko - Katana Don Hanson W-2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat I really do not know as the stones I use are water stones and the Arkansas stone is not. You might be able to soak it in water and use it.

John, a question for you, do you use stones to polish? if so my question from that is would a large arkansas stone work similar to the japanese polishing stones?

Well Clint since it is a Ko-Katana which means it is just shy of a full size one, But none the less it is with in the guidlines of a katana and I have been wanting an O-Kissaki on my blades for some time now. And thanks for the kind words.

wow! thats one of the nicest blades i have seen! i especially like the nakago. its amazing that you could get such a big kissaki out of the wakizashi. its reminiscent of one I like from Walter Sorrells. keep it up =)

no problem. oh yea I forgot it was a ko-katana. you just don't see many of those anymore. I love o-kissaki, there just so shiny!

Clint you are oh so right, and I try to be versitile in my designs, and I like to due blades that are not usually created. Plus it make me a well rounded smith.

john, forgive me if i've missed this , but what is the nagasa? and in answer to others, its definately ko-katana, not o-wakizashi; the lack of taper, and the o - kissaki, make this one of the most intimidating and direct blades i've ever seen. on a similar note, if you can let that sense of power bleed through to your naginata, i'll be hugely impressed. the progress you've made in the last couple of years is both humbling and inspiring.

The nagasa is the measured from the top of the mune-machi to the very tip of the kissaki.

I am glad you like the blade, and I am not sure how to answer the last part of you post. But I will say this I have great view out of my shop of a lake and I draw my inspiration from it. Which is what I did for the katana. So yes I hope I can instill the power that I put into the katana into the naganita.

And thanks for the compliments as I can say the same for you I love your work.

My tip my hat to you Jake

yeah, i know what nagasa is, i was wondering what it was for this blade? how long from the kissaki to the mune-machi? from the pics i would guess about 24", maybe a bit more. my point about the power is the way that the slim taper interacts with the o-kissaki and , in particular, the hitatsura (can't wait to see how that polishes).also thanks - when i get a proper heat treating forge built, hopefully i can start doing some fun stuff.

Edited by jake cleland

Sorry about that Jake you are right it is 24 1/2". And I just got my heat treat forge up and running not to long ago.

Man that's a sweet blade John! Sure makes me want to get back in the shop...

John,

That's a darn fine-lookin' blade there! I likes it ;)

Sorry, can't help with the yokote part of it, but maybe I can advance the conversation: I am not sure I understand you; what part of getting the yokote down and clean are you referring to? Foundation grind/polish or finish? Actual yokote or the whole boshi?

Thanks,

Thanks Brian. I am trying to make the yokote as crisp as possible. Maybe I should just leave it to the Togoshi I have it where I want it, and I was looking at it yesterday and maybe I should leave well enough alone?