WIP - Ealdric an 11th Cent Petersen Type Z sword

David D.

i can't wait to see the new grip.

in pic 5, i thought andy was filing his own hand. i'm like "what is he doing?" then i saw the guard. hahaha

Edited by C Daniel

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... So new grip added, hilt constructed tight and sound.

It has a cold shrill ring and the figured walnut against the antiqued wrought against Dave's beautifully crafted blade is really starting to give this sword life.

ealdric.jpg

And we will be bringing it to Adlai's hammerin tomorrow for all to see firsthand. :)

More progress comin soon

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

That looks *really* nice, guys. The Wrought fittings are a nice element. Love the antiqued/rugged look.

Are you still planning on the wire inlay?

Really well done man.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

That looks awesome! I like the new wood a whole lot better.

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

• 1 month later...

Overdue update...

Ealdric is rapidly coming to life and nearing the end of its birth. It is taking on a life of its own and becoming a pretty incredible sword due to the combined imaginations of us, Dave, and the awesome input from all of you guys. So thank you!

here's the most recent progress...

Andy with glued and profiled walnut scabbard:

94074628.jpg

Me shaping the scabbard on our belt sander:

23527363.jpg

Inspiration... Working on carving and detail work up in the North Woods of Door County Wisconsin while campin with my brothers and pop:

41726336.jpg

28499380.jpg

Lilly posing for her carving on the scabbard, inspired by both her and Mouse... ;)

51056325.jpg

25636472.jpg

37147814.jpg

40060165.jpg

10080662.jpg

67759650.jpg

83215508.jpg

Workin on finishing up all of the carving now, and then its onto Andy to add some beautiful leather straps and chape with bronze belt loops, then to sharpening, polishing, and oiling, and Ealdric will be a finished piece. Just in time to show at our Hammerin on the 28th for anyone who's attending to see.

Updates soon coming!

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

AWESOME!!!

Looks incredible guys. I can't wait to see it at the hammer-in.

Very cool.

Cheers from corporate hell . . .

--Dave

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah ,

It's weird to think of the smell of burning hair to have a good connotation. laugh.gif The flaming blade anointer is going to be busy....wink.gif

Dick

Carving officially finished...

Next its onto adding the leather chape, belt straps, and bronze connection loops. A couple coats of Danish oil, sharpening... and Ealdric will be finished and alive!

52011608.jpg

36331442.jpg

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

dang David, that has come a long way from when I saw it at the hammerin looks amazing

Gnáthamh na hoibre an t-eólas

(Knowledge comes through practice)

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

my site: http://lfcforgeworks.webs.com/

YAAAAAAAARR!!!

That looks incredible guys!

I'm very bummed I can't make your hammerin. The dog portrait is my favorite. It looks a LOT like Mouse.

What a great piece this is turning out to be.

--Dave

• 1 month later...

Working on leather belt straps with brass belt loops, and leather chape with the addition of a little sheep wool:

img3192.jpg

The finish line is nearing on the horizon...

btw, thanks Dave for going to the effort of getting the forum back online today.

We all owe him a lot of gratitude for keeping this place moving.

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

Cool!

Can't wait to see it in person!

Thanks dudes.

--Dave

Man! This sure is coming out fantastic! You guys rock.

~Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

• 2 weeks later...

That is some fantastic work and utterly awe inspiring.

I do have a question. Where is the Dagger? :blink:

Best regards and respect I can't begin to express,

Tim

I am as free as nature first made man,

Ere the base laws of servitude began,

When wild in woods the noble savage ran.

From The Conquest of Granada by John Dryden

That is some fantastic work and utterly awe inspiring.

I do have a question. Where is the Dagger? :blink:

Best regards and respect I can't begin to express,

Tim

Tim,

The dagger, along with many other projects, lies dormant in my forge.

I have not been able to put in any signifcant hours in the shop for the last three months or so because of work commitments. I've literally slept more nights in hotels than my home for months.

Here's a link to the dagger project. http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=16484&st=0&p=153609&fromsearch=1entry153609

Before I get to it, however, i have to finish the swords I'm making with Petr, work on some Damascus for Serge, get a design idea to Dee . . .

I usually get two or three weeks in December to focus on the shop. I hope to make a lot of progress this year.

"The woods are lovely,

Dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

- Robert Frost

Tim,

The dagger, along with many other projects, lies dormant in my forge.

I have not been able to put in any signifcant hours in the shop for the last three months or so because of work commitments. I've literally slept more nights in hotels than my home for months.

Here's a link to the dagger project. http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=16484&st=0&p=153609&fromsearch=1entry153609

Before I get to it, however, i have to finish the swords I'm making with Petr, work on some Damascus for Serge, get a design idea to Dee . . .

I usually get two or three weeks in December to focus on the shop. I hope to make a lot of progress this year.

"The woods are lovely,

Dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

- Robert Frost

Dave, I just wanted to make sure that justice was done for that fine blade. :D

As it is said, work worth doing is worth doing right. It'll get done when the time is fulfilled.

Heck, I haven't fired up a forge in nearly (maybe over) a year due to changes in living situations, but I am about to move into a place with a perfect little nook for my smithy, so I hope to get back to work soon. :)

Best regards, and keep up the most excellent work,

Tim

I am as free as nature first made man,

Ere the base laws of servitude began,

When wild in woods the noble savage ran.

From The Conquest of Granada by John Dryden

10 - 22 - 10

Ealdric

Sword of Northern kings, forged by the lone smith in the cold woods, and furnished by the Dwarves in the hills of New Castle...

Finished:

ealdric.jpg

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

soon to come in honor of Ealdric, being the long collab project it has been:

- A video documenting the process, fit with music and narration Lord willing.

- A hand drawn original sketch to accompany the sword

- And a page on Andy's & my website to feature the sword, showing Dave's and our work as a whole together...

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com