Six new Maringer "Vorpal Haiku" knives for the BLADE show

Tom Maringer

Here's how this new batch of knives for the BLADE show finished out. Blades are D-2 steel, lengths from 6 1/2" to 9". All handle furniture is titanium, some parts have been TIG welded. The wire wrappings on the top four are titanium also... the bottom two are synthetic rubber wrapped. The black rubber is nitrile, the brown is fluorocarbon. Knife weights range from seven to nine ounces. It's only six knives... but the titanium furniture results in an incredible improvement of weight and balance. These things just seem to float in the hand by comparison to the ones I used to make with stainless steel furniture.

Well, still lots to do before wheels up... this will be my first show in fifteen years, so I don't have my "show stuff" together anymore. Should be interesting to see how these go over. Table 23-L See you there! Tom Maringer

SixBlades01_Compressed.JPG

SixBlades02_Compressed.JPG

SixBlades03_Compressed.jpg

Those are really beautiful and unique, together they make quite a statement... back with a vengeance, I'd say... B)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Wow Tom!

That's quite a showing. I think your table is gonna be empty in short order. Glad you're back in the game. I liked reading your article on swords in one of Ken Warners anuals when I was a kid. I dig the flourocarbon wrap, looks leathery.

I haven't had a slow day at work to make a purge bowl, no tig at my shop. Still high on my list to try eventualy

Great stuff. ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

That is cool stuff! It just doesn't look like anything else out there. I love the family resemblance between all the blades.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

• 4 months later...