$50 Knife Shop Preview

To echo what Don said, you will run across this and other partial books or manuscripts on the web; many of them are copyright violations. Maintaining or spreading these sites takes money from people who have worked long and hard to creat the work featured. Before posting anything on a web site, no matter the goodness of your intention, be sure that it is not copyrighted material. It's the right thing to do and it's also the law.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I looked it over some, it's just a few pages, sort of a "movie trailer" for a book. Little clips from here and there. Some pictures looked different than I remembered in mine, but could be that updated version of it.

A lot of the websites for books like Amazon have started putting these up as a way to virtually thumb through the book a little like you might do at the store. That's why it's only a few pages, more of a teaser to get you to buy it to get the rest of the info.

Also has "Published by Gun Digest. Pages displayed by permission. " in the bottom right. It's just one of the ways of marketing books online. I've seen some where you can read the first chapter, but then have to buy it to read the rest.

good book worth the buy. =]

Edited by EdgarFigaro

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

i'm as cheap as they come.... heck man ima scots....we're more frugal than the irish....and that being said....i just bought the reprinted or updated 50 $ knife shop...awesome book alota great ideas for everyone......btw don theres a great shot of you in it as well...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Yea I have this book and must say I really like it, its on my top three books to recommend to a beginner if he decides to get into this endeavor as a hobby.

Chris

Chris Williams

My friend's copy of 50 Dollar Knife Shop got me interested and on my way to making knives. i have Wayne Goddard's Wonder Of Knifemaking and it is a very good resource.

$50 dollar knife shop is worth well more than the price of the book. I loaned my copy to a knife making buddy (he makes knives by stock removal, but we're still friends ^_^ )a while ago, and haven't gotten it back. I'll buy it again soon, it is a bargain for the resource that it is. Mr. Goddard is a real great guy, as well.

Using brief quotes or short passages from a resource is usually acceptable, but putting whole pages online is like downloading music without paying. I agree with Don's posting. BTW, The $50 Knife Shop is a great resource and inspired me to want to find a firebrick to make a torch forge.

Edited by Mike R.

These Google Books previews are all provided with the permission of the copyright holders. There was initially a huge dispute about the copyright implications of the project (I frankly believe what Google was doing constituted fair use, which is an exception to copyright, but that's neither here nor there now), but that's been settled. Copyright holders have the right to opt out altogether (which is why many books don't display any text in Google Books), or to receive payment for the limited "preview" display of their books (which, as someone else pointed out, is no different than picking a book up off the shelf at a book store and thumbing through it). In return their books are exposed to a massive potential new market (I constantly get Google Books search results in books that I would never even think of picking up in my local bookstore, assuming it carried all those books).

Here's some background: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/10/googl...t-readers-guide

Thanks for the information Matt.

I have a Kindle and am getting much of my reading in form of ebooks now. I would still buy a hard copy to support the author and to have the physical book. I find that I remember photos and pages better from a real book, but enjoy the immediacy and convenience of the Kindle.

Anyway, I appreciate the article on the Google suit and for thoughfully sharing.

Don

Don Fogg

I'd probably have a Kindle if I didn't spend most of the day in front of a PC. But I agree: I much prefer reading a real book to clicking through electronic pages.

On a related note, there are some wonderful out-of-copyright books available for download from Google Books. Practical Blacksmithing by Milton Richardson (copyright 1886, I believe...) is one of them.