Mystery box

Sam Salvati

yeah thats a good question.... how much clearance do you have on that unit sam????

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam you are a lucky man, Have a friend that want me to ride with him to go to James shop when he had the open shop in June. Looks like is somthing for me to save my pennies on.Realy nice can not wait see what you make.

Neat way of mounting and getting the motor in place and lined up. Are you double nutting it to prevent them from working loose?

It is very ingenious. I will be double nutting them now, thanks for the tip Michael :)!

Sam... your killin us here... :lol:

by the way... it does look sharp with the base... .. and color..

i hope it has that nice " choof choof choof " sound....

are your dies just flats... is there abit of bevel on the corners...

- an what about some of those more rounded style dies... ( you see on that Hofi vid )

you could also make some small tools..... i don't think you'll have a high stroke on this...it'll be much like some of the mechanicals.... .. a hack is easy enough to make.... n one of those flatteners

i'm excited for you... life is so much better with a hammer

G

:D I have been cranking over the flywheel with my hand to hear the chuff chuff noise, from videos it seems like it sounds like a Harley idling. The dies are just flats with a slight bevel all around, I will give it a try like this so I can better understand how I need to dress them out, but I think the first set I am going to buy will be similar to those "crown" dies that Hofi uses in the video. There is only about 6 1/2 inches of clearance between the bottom die and the upper guide/frame, enough for some simple spring swages and stuff, in Mark Aspery's videos he shows how to make a ball swage, and shows using a tenon tool. I'll make up a flatter, punch, slitter, hack and some texturing tools. Thanks Greg, got some interesting stuff to come I have alot of ideas for this machine it is cool how different you think when your possible projects just doubled.

Electricity just got hooked up yesterday!!! Just waiting on the drive belts (I lost the ones that came with the hammer).

James, thanks!!!

Nick, that's my safety officer :D

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

you always look so utterly thrilled in any of the pics ive seen you in Sam

:D

cant wait to see how it works out ...

i personally think that you're just holding out on us ... and have had the hammer going for a while now .. and all of this is just an excuse so that you can present some huge project you've just completed and shout "TA-DA!"

i mean, there is no way in the world that a maker who has a untested power hammer sitting in their shop could possibly sound as calm and relaxed as you come across

:P

deeDWF4.jpg

cant wait to see how it works out ...

i personally think that you're just holding out on us ... and have had the hammer going for a while now .. and all of this is just an excuse so that you can present some huge project you've just completed and shout "TA-DA!"

Thanks Dee, now you've gone and given him an idea....he'll be "waiting for drive belts" for another 2 months :)

i mean, there is no way in the world that a maker who has a untested power hammer sitting in their shop could possibly sound as calm and relaxed as you come across

:P

It's clear you've never met Sam in person. I'd not refer to him as "relaxed" much... :D

-d

No no Dee, my bro's GF is over for the week and she has a badass camera that can take video (like the cinnamon challenge video) so video will hopefully be within the week or on the weekend and in the least a buttload of pictures. My landlord put in the box with the breakers right inside my shop so in case they trip I can reset it myself, he did a HECK of a job! Drive belts will be here tomorrow!!!!!! But I am stuck at work until 5PM :(

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Stop, HAMMER TIME :) Edited by Sam Salvati

HOLY, WOW. What a little forging beast! Got the hammer all wired, tightened everything down, and with MUCH MUCH anticipation hit the switch and TA DAAA!!!!!!!!!!! CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF it sprung to life!!!!! What a rush, I was hands all over it making sure things were running right, oil was flowing, things were tight and all was GOOOOOOOOOOOOD B). After smacking some wood I turned to the forge but CRAP no gas :( A quick door-slam-and-screech to the gas station and back and had the forge lit tapping my foot to the chuff chuff chuff waiting for the steel to heat up. Tried some small 1/4 round isolated some flats up the bar, drew a couple tapers, grabbed some 1/2\" round and some 5/8ths 4150 and just started playing a bit. It\'s a little steel smacker for sure!! Packs quite a little whollop, and I have not even dressed the dies yet and James says that after about a month they break in a bit and hit even harder. The control is most excellent as well, I have heard it described as \"snappy\" and that is just what it is, you can very finely adjust from a light tap to a full on blow and everything in between.

SO FRIKKIN\' COOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know these are crappy pictures, i\'ll try and get some better clearer ones and action shots tomorrow and over the weekend.

Chuffing away delightfully

l_82a7960dc5384a638899634788f6511f.jpg

tried to get a picture of the tup tupping

l_b233529563dd4e57be508194040d2cd7.jpg

And some hammer bits on a bar

l_a9150db4a09b42d4817c72ef052037bf.jpg

Edited by Sam Salvati

much better !

just gotta loves these things... just like getting that first anvil... that feeling of " woooo wwoooo "

hows the sound... does it shake the shop a little... or is the base just right

by the way...... thanks for sharing the experience...

G

Charred, I think I will mysteriously come down with a bad case of cantcomeintaworkitis :D

Greg you are 100% right. It's definately like "how could I have ever done without!". It's a bit loud, louder than I thought it would be but not too bad. It sounds pretty much like a Harley idling. Base is GREAT, the shop doesn't shake at all I will have to try the glass of water test around the shop, I do have to anchor it to the floor though (James welded a couple angle iron holes to the bottom of the base for this) as it sways a little bit.

Thanks to everyone who followed along so far, not done yet though there is lots to come still :D.

Congratulations Sam!!

It's a damn cool tool isn't it? The sound reminds me of an old fishing boat.

Marius A. Bacher

"To learn and not think over what you have learned is perfectly useless. To think without having learned is dangerous." - Gore Vidal

sorry... double post..

Edited by Marius A Bacher

Marius A. Bacher

"To learn and not think over what you have learned is perfectly useless. To think without having learned is dangerous." - Gore Vidal

Sam

A month of watching concrete harden but know time to get gas..... LOL .... I Love it.... glad to see this up and running and congrats to you for not rushing the job.... today will be a pretty long day at fasinal eh? Have fun this weekend....

as a OBTH I have some ear plugs I wear that are the kind that are molded to you ear.... I get them at the school for the deaf near where I live.... they were expensive ( But cheap if you value your ears) $60.oo for the pair.... they work realy well and they are so comfortable I forget I have them in sometimes...

I can still hear conversations and music if load enough .... I can wear them all day without any discomfort at all ..... "make you look like a rock star"

..... they even make them with speakers in them but they are $500.oo and up... they work great to dull the snoring so you can sleep with in the bunk room at Ashokan also

Dick

Congratulations Sam!!

It's a damn cool tool isn't it? The sound reminds me of an old fishing boat.

Damn cool tool is right!!!! An old fishing boat is more correct, sort of a thumpa thumpa noise.

Dick, YEAH I KNOW :D You think I would have thought ahead hehe. I will get some of the earphones that my best friend has, he was in the airforce refueling planes and they were required to wear them from all the noise on the runway, but I will look into earplugs as it's a bit hot to wear the big earphones, there is a school for the deaf only about an hour away, I will give them a call that is a great idea. I hope there isn't a long wait time to have them made, Ashokan is only a couple weeks away :D

Erik, 100% YES. This hammer is built like a TANK, fits right in with my KMG and Chuck Robinson anvil (they seem to be getting along well:)).

Sam, big congratulations to your wonderful and much anticipated forge helper!

Just do get yourself ear protection Tinitus (sp?) can sneak up on you.

Beautiful hammer. Tried one of those at Owen´s (I think it was the same size?). Great fun to use!

Thank you Peter! My father is and has been an Audio Engineer for most of his life, so I was raised with proper learning all about sound and what it can do to you. I can finally give a Svante type blade a try now I have the power to work the heavy steel for the preform.

Sammmmm...... Where's the action video?! :P Looks sweet though!

Alba Ghu Bra

Brent LaCroix

Sammmmm...... Where's the action video?! :P Looks sweet though!

Coming soon to a theater near you!

There you go!!!

Can´t wait t see it :-)

It will be immensely challenging and I look forward to that, I hope I am up to it. Atleast I cannot blame it on lack of tools if I mess it up :) !

Edited by Sam Salvati

I always thought "no way I would ever want one of these hellish machines yadda yadda"....but since being able to use the pneumatic hammer of another person for forging damascus half a year ago (of course with professional help :) ), I am a convert. I am truly jealous of your mystery machine ;)

Charred, I think I will mysteriously come down with a bad case of cantcomeintaworkitis :D

Greg you are 100% right. It's definately like "how could I have ever done without!". It's a bit loud, louder than I thought it would be but not too bad. It sounds pretty much like a Harley idling. Base is GREAT, the shop doesn't shake at all I will have to try the glass of water test around the shop, I do have to anchor it to the floor though (James welded a couple angle iron holes to the bottom of the base for this) as it sways a little bit.

Thanks to everyone who followed along so far, not done yet though there is lots to come still :D.

I wouldn't be making that statement public Sam, you know there are lots of people out there who like to spoil people's fun. I must say I am positively envious, particularly since for a long while I won't be able to get one of those (space is a problem).

Enjoy it and thanks for letting us enjoy it too through the photos :D

Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...

Rósta að, maðr!