1/3 hp motor? what to do with it?

so as the title reads I have no idea what to do with it I was thinking a belt grinder found out that it wasnt strong enough so I was thinking maybe a wire brush wheel/ buffer?? is this strong enough for that?

Edited by HarrisonF
so as the title reads I have no idea what to do with it I was thinking a belt grinder found out that it wasnt strong enough so I was thinking maybe a wire brush wheel/ buffer?? is this strong enough for that?

I have a 1/3 im going to try to make a 42" belt sander out of it! Why not? Hell I just did my first neck knife on a ryobi 4x36 belt sander. But I too have a 1/3 kicking around and I think I can make a better belt sander with it then the ryobi. Nothing lost but time!

if im making a grinder im making a kmg clone and I dont think this motor will put out enough power really

Nope! 1/3 HP won't do the trick for a KMG clone. You need at least 1 & 1/2 or 2 to make the wheels spin round with enough power to do useful work. I run mine with a Leeson 1.5 hp motor and will soon upgrade to a 2 hp variable speed. It's no trick to slow down the present motor if I lean into it a bit.

I've got one of those with a steel brush (wear goggles!), and another with standard grinding stones. Along with a tank of contaminated ferric chloride they make up my descaling operation...

What ever you do with it you will have to use a lite hand when using it. And you will get tired of it really fast and want a bigger motor.

well it is curently set up to be a 6" grinder and that worked verry well it just wasnt safe and I now have my kids around the shop so I said enough ill buy a real grinder if I need one but do you think its enough power for a wire brush wheel and a buffer wheel

Edited by HarrisonF
do you think its enough power for a wire brush wheel and a buffer wheel

It depends on how you rig the pulleys, but yeah, it should work okay. Be sure to keep the kids away from it then too, a power wire wheel and a buffer are two of the absolute most dangerous tools in the whole shop. :ph34r:

They will both grab a piece of steel out of your hands and send it flying with enough force to stick in a cinderblock wall (even with a 1/6 hp 1750 rpm motor), and the wire wheel has the added bonus of throwing needles at you while you work...

well theres o pullies the grinder is right on the motor bar that spins. but yea I know there not any more safe then a grinder but its beeing moved to a safer place I used to work on buffing out guitars with a huge buffer fun times.