I bought an old Vhs video of Bill Moran and making handles, on it he has an old turn torque punch of some kind that punches the tang hole in the guard, he said a whitney punch (I thought), I can find whitney punches, but nothing like he had, which was a bench mounted looking little unit that punched a rectangular hole that was perferct for starting the tang hole. Beats drilling and then filing out the guts... I WANT ONE! Anyone with any clues where to get one.

Scott

I bought an old Vhs video of Bill Moran and making handles, on it he has an old turn torque punch of some kind that punches the tang hole in the guard, he said a whitney punch (I thought), I can find whitney punches, but nothing like he had, which was a bench mounted looking little unit that punched a rectangular hole that was perferct for starting the tang hole. Beats drilling and then filing out the guts... I WANT ONE! Anyone with any clues where to get one.

Scott

There was just one on ebay. I think someone here posted about it.

i recently priced odd sized dies for my model #24....ropers price for both punch and die was around 350.....toooling up isnt cheap.... but seeing as the 24 was a gift(list around 1100 new) 350 for punch and dies isnt sooooo bad...

Thanks for the info, but right now, 200 dollars is a little much for me.. wife wants to go to the smokey's. But in the video he torqued it around and it punched a square tang hole in his fittings like "shamwow" .... ok, that dude gets on my nerves on that towel commercial... but at any rate, it was like "pow" and the hole was there, saving mega mega time.