Ms performance knife???

Nick Wheeler

Hi Folks :)

Haven't been online much as I'm back in school adding a welding degree and machinist's certificate to my resume :wacko:

I have been in the shop as much as I can get out there though... And with Josh Smith's hammer-in coming up I am hoping to stick my neck on the line and do my Ms performance test.

Just thought I'd throw a post up to see if anybody has any advice or pearls of wisdom.

I've made about 10 billets (1084/15N20) to make test blades from (that's a LOT considering they're starting off as 1.5" wide X 5" tall X 6" long... :mellow: And have taken them all to the ~400 - 500 layer range.

My plan has been to fully harden the blade and draw the spine back with "tempering tongs." I'm also going to do a couple up with clay and see how they compare. I want to make SEVERAL test blades and figure out what works best for me before picking THE blade that will be used in the actual test.

Of course the blade will include distal taper and a rounded spine (I think these two things play a pretty large role in success...)

Anyway, that's the plan. Any help and advice would be appreciated! :)

Soooooooo excited to see Don demo at Josh's!!!!!! :DB):D

Good luck too you Nick, I've had my JS since 2000 and just been to busy to go the final distance though It's something I've wanted more than anything, for myself only. I've studied hundreds of MS knives and know my work is up to par, but still find myself growing in skill and diversity with every few knives I make, so It always makes me wonder if I'm really ready. I've been told by many mastersmiths to keep it simple, and I guess that's something I'm going to have to work on. We'll all be lookingfoward to your work and wishing you the best. Wes

Hi Nick,

It's really nice to see you on this forum :lol:

hankknickmeyer Posted Today, 11:02 AM

Nick,

Keep it thin. Most of the knives that have failed (in the people testing with me) fail the bending test.

This echoes what I've heard from every Mastersmith for all performance test knives, so I'll leave it to Hank's words.

I know how anal you are :P ... so I'm not worried about you passing the test.

GO FOR IT!!

Mike

Mike

Nick,

Keep it thin. Most of the knives that have failed (in the people testing with me) fail the bending test.

In my opinion most of the failing knives were too thick.

Good Luck,

Hank

Hank knows what he's talking about!

Nick, sounds like you have enough steel there for 50 test knives? Will take ya awhile to made and test that many :D

Good luck old man!

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

Thank you guys!!! :)

Hank, that's very good advice and it will be put to good use. Thank you!

Don... I know, I know... ;):D It's been a long time since I've spent several days in a row just making steel... and it was pretty nice! :) I wanted to make a test blade out of each billet... but instead I think I'll do a few out of just a couple billets.

I'll try to snap some pics to add here. Even if I chicken out for Josh's hammer-in, I've got to do it eventually! ;)

Mike and Wes- I've been putting it off a bit myself. Some was lack of time, some was getting nervous :unsure:

I have had a LOT of reservations about testing for Ms as it seems to be this lofty title... but I decided to look at it like when I got my engineering degree. Getting the degree just proves I met the requirements to get it... it didn't necessarily mean that I knew a whole lot ;) So I'm looking at the Ms as more of a starting point than a finish line. If that makes sense. :)

And no offense if I'm way off base and the guys that already have theirs think I'm nuts. :)

THANKS!!!

Edited by Nick Wheeler

Hi Nick,

I've noticed you mention your tempering tongs in the past. Is there a general temp or color that you try reach, and about how long do you try to keep them in contact with the spine. Thanks for any comments you might have.

Take care, Craig

Craig- Mike Vagnino showed me this technique and I used it on my Js performance knife (fully hardened 52100). My tongs have 1" square X 4" long mild steel welded (perpendicular) to the end of the jaws.

I heat the tongs in the forge until they're light orange, keep the edge of the blade in water, and then clamp down on the spine with the hot tongs. On my Js knife, I held them there until I saw light blue. I buffed the oxides off, and did it over again twice.

This worked well for me to do a controlled tempering of the spine. It was very difficult to bend the knife, and afterward it came back close to straight. The thing here, is the knife doesn't have to come back, it can stay bent, and I'm talking about doing it in front of 150 people instead of just a couple! :blink: (so maybe having 1/8" of the edge hard is the way to go...LOL).

We'll see.... :huh::lol:

Well I'm feverishly trying to make this happen.... here's some shots of one of several test blades being shaped... THIS is DEFINITELY my favorite part!!! :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Well as long as it's for a good reason! ;):)

The tongs are Tom Tongs.... I love this particular pair (offset jaws so you can choke up on stuff past the rivet).

I can read the handle stamp now that I'm taking time to look closer at the pic. They are 1/4" X ???

What width are the TONGS YOU LOVE ;):lol:

Mike

Grr... gonna have to do the test another time. Had some issues and I'm just not happy with my test blades. This sucks, I was really hoping to pass and have Don's signature on my ABS test paper. -_-

Thanks for the support guys! :)

Nick Wheeler Posted Today, 03:12 PM

Grr... gonna have to do the test another time. Had some issues and I'm just not happy with my test blades. This sucks, I was really hoping to pass and have Don's signature on my ABS test paper.

Thanks for the support guys!

Nick,

Don't worry about it.

I'm certain, knowing you, there was a valuable lesson you have learned. When you work out the kinks please let the rest of us know what you found out. This old bonehead appreciates the way you usually do that with the knowledge you have to share. ;)

You'll get there :)

Mike