World's largest wootz ingot

Where's the photo?

I have heard that those who celebrate life walk safely amongst the wild animals.

When they go into battle, they remain unharmed, the animals find no place to attack them

and weapons are unable to harm them.

Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Shamanic Proverb

Ric...Can you use it a bench? :lol:

Pic´s ...lots of...please

One thing...sens this is not cheap...could it be good to check inogt whit those welding seam or other

device´s --X-ray, for possible flaws?

...or is there any point??

Niko

;) ok... shushhh everyone... drum roll please... !!!!

ps..anything over 12 lbs would be absolute torture to forge out... if its past 50lbs... maybe good for a missle warhead on a bunker busting bomb... haha

Hello All,

Anyone wish to see a photo of a rather large ingot I have in the shop?

I'm not saying size matters, but....at some point its impressive.

Ric

Ric,

I think you are on to something...for most of us that would be a once in a life time ingot we would never finish forging all that metal. What an environmental bonus not having all those people ( at least 7 or 8) duplicating ingots at home. Now if you will just send us all a slice and let us see if these shops are duplicating each other as well at the fire, we could have a lot of fun.

Niko,

Do you still have the previous record holder? How heavy was it?

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

yes ric lets please see pics of the ingot..... with lotsa money shots of the nazel in action please....actually can your forward the pics of the nazel to me please...i was thinking of going chinese,but i think i'm going ta wait till a nazel that needs love and a home finds me...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Hello All,

Anyone wish to see a photo of a rather large ingot I have in the shop?

I'm not saying size matters, but....at some point its impressive.

Ric

And while waiting for the main event to appear they took a peak at what may be the smallest ingot in my shop (dendrites? and all).

Jan

This wootz ingot is 15 pounds.

It was made with the help of Joseph Gray and Kyle Metsloff by a process which has been under devlopement for many years.

As manyof you know I have been making wootz for some, gee, 15 years or more...this is an outgrowth of that.

This process was prototyped in 2000/2001 or so and has been refined since.

I'll forge it as a single piece and see what patterns it yields.

The chemistry is 1.5% carbon and only trace elements from there.

Ric

wootz_ingot_15_pound_s.jpg

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

This is gunna be one badass thing... I'm so excited!!

Alba Ghu Bra

Brent LaCroix

This wootz ingot is 15 pounds.

It was made with the help of Joseph Gray and Kyle Metsloff by a process which has been under devlopement for many years.

As manyof you know I have been making wootz for some, gee, 15 years or more...this is an outgrowth of that.

This process was prototyped in 2000/2001 or so and has been refined since.

I'll forge it as a single piece and see what patterns it yields.

The chemistry is 1.5% carbon and only trace elements from there.

Ric

Ric,

Wow that is a big ingot! Are you sure this is not just a large graphite crucible you are holding? Do we get a top view, Ill bet that baby has a major shrinkage cavity. Congratulations!....I love mysteries.

Jan

Dood, you cut your hair. Almost didn't recognize you at summer-length.

:P (heckle heckle heckle)

Looks nice... will you weld a handle to it, or try to keep it pure and just use monster-tongs? I'm trying to imagine what one could make with a 15-pound ingot... whole lotta blades, for sure.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Hello All,

I have had the interest to do the Topkapi Palace sword of Mehmed II.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Imp...tanbul_(25).JPG

The blade is quite long and wide..larger then any I had done thus far....

Vince Evans beat me to a copy in Pattern-weld so I thought maybe a full sized version in Wootz would be worth doing.

I may go to Istanbul to have a look at the original and a few others in the Palace collection. It has been many years since I was in Istanbul.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Aww, Ric, that’s one cute ingot! :P

Did your friends bring a vacuum induction melter to the effort?

Best of luck with the forging! B)

Your ingot is about ½ the size of this 27-pounder I made a while back…the ruler is aligned with the saw cut that ripped all the teeth off a big horizontal bandsaw blade, you can see how far it got - not fully spheroidized I guess :(

XL_064.jpg

Jomsvikingar Raða Ja!

http://vikingswordsmith.com

Sunday Sunday Sunday!

Monster Wootz Cage Match!

Pringle VS Furrer!

:D

Not really, but dang, both of ya, those are some very large hunks of steel. What's the appeal of something so massive? To my mind, it seems harder to work, too much effort unless you really need a wootz conan sword. When it comes to patterning steel, does ingot size matter at all?

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Aww, Ric, that’s one cute ingot! :P

Did your friends bring a vacuum induction melter to the effort?

Best of luck with the forging! B)

Your ingot is about ½ the size of this 27-pounder I made a while back…the ruler is aligned with the saw cut that ripped all the teeth off a big horizontal bandsaw blade, you can see how far it got - not fully spheroidized I guess :(

XL_064.jpg

Jeff,

touche'

I did not want to drag out the other ingots and make anyone feel bad, but here they are..some 80-90 pounds there...plus a five smaller in different shapes that I did not photograph. The last one was 25 or so pounds on the bathroom scale....

No vacuum melt.

I have not had luck cutting ingots with band saws...best to use an abrasive saw or a water jet.

Ric

Wootz_ingot_19_pounds.jpg

wootz_ingot_21_pounds.jpg

Wootz_ingot_25_pounds.jpg

Edited by Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

you should easily have enough steel for the sword your doing.... maybe 2 and a dagger..

looks like theres a sort of T spine on that... or is it a small hollow ground near the spine that makes it look that way...

- also a sharp yelmen... you can see it if you zoom in on the pic...

nice blade, I know you can do it, and do it well !!!

is there a weight for the sword.. ..

you should easily have enough steel for the sword your doing.... maybe 2 and a dagger..

looks like theres a sort of T spine on that... or is it a small hollow ground near the spine that makes it look that way...

- also a sharp yelmen... you can see it if you zoom in on the pic...

nice blade, I know you can do it, and do it well !!!

is there a weight for the sword.. ..

According to Unsal Yucel in "Islamic Swords and Swordsmiths" the blade P 128 is

106 cm (41.73") blade

126.5 cm (49.8") overall

No weight listed, but I can extrapolate that from the original if I can see it up close.

It has two grooves, no T-back and a long inscription.

The handle (core walrus ivory) is odd as well. The sword is most likely for ceremonial use only, but,,,,

I think it may need an all wootz sheath with ivory accents as well.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

im just glad that the ingot is large enough to detract from that shirt ..

:P

tehehe ..

looks great .. .

whenever i see someone's ingot it always sparks that little voice in my head saying im missing out on the fun

:)

cant wait to see the patterns you discover.

deeDWF4.jpg

very nice work man!!! and i like your shirt....makes me wanna go search out cow paddies for pizza toppings..

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

I want one? :P

Alba Ghu Bra

Brent LaCroix

I've seen that sword. IT'S MASSIVE!! The spine must be close to 10 mm thick. Not something you want to carry into battle unless your arms are the size of the incredible Hulk's. Can't say that I saw any patterning in it though, neither wootz or pattern welded.

A very proud Say-Mak owner :D

My YouTube channel

www.leifern.com