First Hidden Tang knife

Hi guys !

Thought i would share these pics...

It's been a long time since my last login but it's good to see more and more have join... I have spent the last year getting better acquainted with bladesmithing and

spending most of my spare time forging and also remaking a new burner for the forge which took too long to fix... but now it works

My first hidden tang knife in life, a trade-off between camp/hunting knife for my next hunting season.

The blade is 1095 carbon steel and is a hand rub to a 400 finish (this knife will be used...) so i have no need to get overwhelmed with

polishing and buffing except for the guard and butt which are 316 stainless steel. The handle is Jatoba (Bresilian Cheerywood) and although it is a hardwood

i found it is rather easy to work...which came handy for the tang hole...

Here are a couple of pics from the little project:

Making the handle

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

The completed knife

IMG_0513.jpg

_MG_1006.jpg

To my surprise i was just finishing the hand rub with 400 when light struck at angle on the blade and there it was.... a hamon ? looks like that to me !!!

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

I really like it too. I like Jatoba to work with too. It works easily and takes a nice polish. That looks like a good little user. What are the dimensions?

I really like it too. I like Jatoba to work with too. It works easily and takes a nice polish. That looks like a good little user. What are the dimensions?

Blade length : 4.7 "

Blade width : 1.4 "

Thickness : .180 "

Handle length (from wood to butt end): 4.7 "

Thanks for asking

that is a great knife for actual using with game. nice work. makes me miss archery season.

kevin

did you mean for that to happen?

In fact, no. I didn't even think on putting a hamon on this blade. No clay and an oil quench, i guess things turned out better than i thought...

In fact, no. I didn't even think on putting a hamon on this blade. No clay and an oil quench, i guess things turned out better than i thought...

To say the least! Nice work Stephen, solid put together knife. The Jatoba looks a bit like hickory, but richer and darker.