Sign in to follow this  
savageknives

treadle hammer plans

im somewhat new to the game and im looking for a simple yet effective treadle hammer. i am will be going to college in a few years so hopefully something easy to disassemble and transport. something easy enough to build that i and my brother can accomplish, (him being a mechanical engineering student). please send me anything you come up with. PM or email me at measley010@sbcglobal.net. thanks much brothers.

Having built one and seen what it can and cannot do, what are you looking to do with it?

Well treadle hammers are bulky for moving, and traditionally pretty heavy. They do have a set of plans on abana for sale from what I remember. It you have an air compressor and good welding skills, you could check out this DIY air hammer. It uses kinyon style controls and one guy can carry it.

http://www.anvilfire.com/power/jyh_index.htm

It's the one listed as the kiwi prototype

Edited by Tate Roth

sam, im looking to stick mostly to blades. really nothing too spectacular but more expedient than putting it under hammer and anvil. thats a cool design, i would like to keep it leg powered at least for now. im young and im not trying to sink my savings into a project just yet.

There's been a few over the years, plans that is. Many a yarn ago I build one and used it a lot. It was good for exactly what you want, home built added power.

My plans were from Wayne Goddard. He used to sell 'em years ago, don't know if he still does. His design was fairly simple to build and worked. The geometry of it had the hammer use a pivot point away from the hammer so things had to be right on as far as bottom and top die height. I've noticed a lot of work by other designers that gets the hammer to slide straight up and down, but makes things more complicated in the build.

A quick search for "treadle hammer" will bring up an awfull lot of stuff.

This one is basically what I built. Basic Treadle

This one looks pretty complicated. Grasshopper Hammer

Hope this helps

Dan

ive seen those plans. the grasshopper i think may be a little out of my league for now. but the first one is more along my lines. lucky for me, my brother is a mechanical engineer and his mind works the way it needs to to build one of these bad boys so ive employed him to help me. looks like im going to spend a lot of time at the junkyard rummaging. but there are definitely worse things i could be doing. thanks a lot dan.

The swing arm design hits hard, as does the inline design. Clay spencer's is the best in line design I have seen:

http://home.comcast.net/~thomas23/treadlehammer.htm

A little less....complicated than the grasshopper.

Either design you build, for it to be more efficient than a hand hammer both the anvil and ram need to be made from solid, there's no way around that. Even lead or sand filled pipe is poor compared to solid bar. Second, make sure not to make the dies too big, or you will lose alot of force transfer. Location of the treadle pivots so as to minimize work you do and maximize work the hammer does is critical also. After a few weeks of using my treadle, I had to relocate the upper pivot point which made a HUGE difference.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?sh...ic=8910&hl=

At post #17 you can see the relocation. The dies on my hammer are 4 inches of 2 inch square, WAY TOO BIG. If I had fab equipment I would make up another set that was 2 inch on end, so the contact surface would be 2 inch square.

thanks a lot sam. it looks like it may be a few weeks before i get the chance to start on this project but hopefully il have the means to post pics when i do. anymore information is greatly appreciated.

If you can, draw a full scale drawing first, to get rough estimates of measurements.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, solid anvil and solid ram. If you cannot find a big enough piece for the anvil, consider stacking flat plates together and welding them. 4 pieces of 1 inch plate 4 inches wide or 8 pieces of 1/2 inch plate 4 inch wide etc will make for 4 inch square. The ram as illustrated in Clay's design can easily be found in the form of round bar or square bar around 1 1/2", if I could do it again, I would have used solid for the anvil for sure, welding just a solid piece of 1045 plate to the top of the anvil block (and heat treating it) or running hardfacing rod on top. I would have gotten 1045 for ram in 1 1/2 inch round, and dressed and heat treated the face like I would a hammer.

Edited by Sam Salvati