Clint

Yasuki Blue paper steel D-guard Bowie

hey all ,afew months ago Bubba-San gave some steel away "first to respond to this post" and what i got was this great Yasuki steel "with a blue paper steel core " and this is what i did with it . Not knowing how to make a Blade from Japan or anything that would even look like one ,I hand forged a long "riflemans knife" for my civil war reenactments ,but had a hard time finding a handle that looked right .then came the kids all stars softball that took the last two months of my life no time for knife stuff .so this week is my first week back and this knife has been on my mined the whole time,i've never made a D-guard before and wanted to try for a long time then it hit me "get off you ass and do it " this is what i came up with ,now its not finished yet ,but i wanted to let you all know what a nice man Bubba-San is this steel is great to work with easy to forge but hard to grind this is going to make one sharp knife . over the last few months bubba and i have talked traided some steel and he has helped in lots of ways . Thank YOU BUBBA-SAN . Back to the Knife

the guard is 330 SS

the Blade is 10" long

its 1 3/8 wide and

the over all knife is about 16" long

the handle is a horn from some kind of sheep

if you look at the pic's theres a dark edge thats the blue paper core .

now i need to put some spacers between the horn and guard "what should use ?"I was thinking of black "handle spacers the ones everyone uses on there grips",and then about the guard i want to kote it with eather satian SS or black Gun-kote ,or do you think i should leave it shinny SS i also need to round of the sides to finish it and then put a old coin on the end of the d-guard .thanks for reading this

Clint "Ironarm Knives"

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

wow, that steel is beautiful. what does it work like?

Wow, I really like that knife! That D guard looks really good, I complements the beautiful steel! What kind of sheath ( if any ) are you going to give the knife?

~Hogan Baker

I actually really like that handle. Excellent job.

Thats a nice piece of horn, it looks like the curve on it is going to feel good in the hand. Nice blade too, the only things I ever win involve a salesman coming to the door.

Wow, I like that a lot, the horn makes an amazing grip for that knife, you chose well on the materials you put this one together with, especially the d-guard.

WOW. Honestly, I think that's my favorite knife from you... Nice job Clint! That's a really nice piece of horn!

wow Clint.. i love it. today is the second time iv read paper steel.. can you explain what is meant by that? thank you.

chris.

wow Clint.. i love it. today is the second time iv read paper steel.. can you explain what is meant by that? thank you.

chris.

[/quote

Hi chris this is what i got ,this carbon steel,suppied by the Hitachi co. "given to me by Bubba-san you could pm him to find out where he gets it " Hitachi co. is based in yasugi,Japan. is made from high-quality iron sand using smelting methods similar to those used to make traditional sword steel. it has the highest purity of all the commercial steels used for forging tools and is commonly forge-welded to wrought iron base to make high quality tool blades and knives. Once hardened the steel has an exremely fine grained,martensitic structure that displays excellent sharpening properties.and is real lite in the hand

Blue paper steel

C1.1-1.2%,Si 0.1-0.2%,Mn 0.2-0.3%,Cr 0.2-0.5%,W 1.0-1.5%,P< 0.025%,S,0.004%

this is some nice stuff

Hi,

sorry for my bad English,

but i can tell that the name comes from the blue paper it is rapt in when sold, their is also a with paper steel but it is without W and Cr.

Clint, i love the knife!

Wow clint i absolutely love this! The blade shape, the handle shape everything is amazing. Your guard inspires me very much! i'm going to have to try something in that style, I simply love elegant guards like that and yours certainly takes the cake, I am a big fan of your work clint it constantly inspires me especially the damascus, but this just takes it to a whole new level, really masterful!

I'll be right back, let me go get my jaw...

thank you clint. real love the piece..

chris.

thank you clint. real love the piece..

chris.

Thanks

! this is going to be one of the sharpest knives i've made you can tell by the grind . after the 25th julys knife show . a small show 500-100 cowboy show up and they love there bowies last year i sold 6 knives and got orders for six more .the wife wont let me keep this one she says i got 10,ooo knives got to help feed the 4 horses ,kid, 3 dogs, etc... you know how it is .

Clint

Edited by Clint

that horn/blade combination is out off this world cool, I would make it shiny if I were you.