favorite lager? ale?

Mjohnson

whats the best around. for lager i say sam adams. they also have an ale but i havent tried it yet. would love some suggestions of things to try.

Nothing worthwhile can be accomplished in martial arts unless your spirit is on fire.

"Victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself."- Shinkage School of Swordsmanship

Deleted, not knife related.

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Huh...tough one...I'm kind of into a Shafly pale ale kick. For lagers I'd say Shiner Bock.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

deleted

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Stone Brewing Co. Ruination India Pale Ale! Delicious!

Beat me to it! Almost impossible to find here in TN though. Our local Boscos Bombay IPA is pretty decent.

Sierra Nevada is probably my favorite "widely available" ale.

Another plus here for Sierra Nevada ales! I like their Pale Ale and the new Torpedo IPA, (they call it an "Extra" IPA) is delicious too. Their Summerfest lager is pretty good too.

I'll also agree with the Stone receomendations, I think the IPA is one of the best I've tried and I really want to try their Pale Ale too. This brewery has only recently become available locally.

If you can find it beers from Bells brewery are mighty good too though they usually are a bit cloudy with yeast particulates, doesn't affect the tast. Their Amber Ale is excellent.

I like the American Pale Ale, so I drink lots of SNPA, Kona Fire Rock, Full Sail, and Dale's.

Soon, soooon, my favorite lager will be available... the Oktoberfest/Märzen styles which will mean the end of summer! Brats and bier! Sam Adams has a good one, Mendocino too, also Brooklyn Brewery, Sprecher and for the imports I like Hacker-Pschorr and the Paulaner offerings. I hear Victory has one of the better ones (called Festbeer perhaps?) and I'd like to try it. It's interesting that the American craft brewers (also the Oktoberfests imported to America) make the traditional darker Oktoberfest beer while the Germans prefer a lighter colored beer now.

Even worse, beers like Budweiser and Miller are becoming more popular in Europe than the traditional brews!

Edited by Guy Thomas

Guy Thomas

I mostly drink ales, my two favorites are New Castle brown, and Smithwicks. I am a fan of darker beers though, and not a big fan of hops, which many IPAs have.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

If you can find it beers from Bells brewery are mighty good too though they usually are a bit cloudy with yeast particulates, doesn't affect the tast. Their Amber Ale is excellent.

I always get that when I pass through Michigan and it's great on tap, but the bottles I've bought around here weren't that great. May have been old or abused in transport or something. They have it on tap a couple of places in the Detroit airport terminal. :)

Nick just brought some Stone Oaked Arogant Bastard to the shop on Sunday, very good. I had some of thier 13th anniversary ale on Saturday. Their ales all seem to have a slight "ethyl" taste that I find plesant for some reason. Dogfish Head makes great stuff, I like the Raison de Etre, very malty. If your in reach of some Maine Brews try anything from Gritty McDuffs ,Best Bitter, Or Halloween seasonal comes out August 18th every year. Geary's Pale is a classic around here and there summer is my faveorite summer beer. I need to stop here I could go on and on. Cheers! ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

Nick just brought some Stone Oaked Arogant Bastard to the shop on Sunday, very good. I had some of thier 13th anniversary ale on Saturday. Their ales all seem to have a slight "ethyl" taste that I find plesant for some reason. Dogfish Head makes great stuff, I like the Raison de Etre, very malty. If your in reach of some Maine Brews try anything from Gritty McDuffs ,Best Bitter, Or Halloween seasonal comes out August 18th every year. Geary's Pale is a classic around here and there summer is my faveorite summer beer. I need to stop here I could go on and on. Cheers! ~Herb

Yeah it is easy to go on and on about beers isn't it? :lol: I like the Dogfish Bews too (except the Raison de Extra for some reason). The Indian Brown Ale is superb and their 90 Minute Double IPA is very very good, my wife really likes the Midas Touch, which is more of a cross between beer, wine and mead.

I forgot to mention Smuttynose Brewery out of New Hampshire. Very good beers too!

Guy Thomas

OK guys... I've been reading the forum for a year or so. Have never posted because I don't make knives, but the metal working information has been most interesting. I'm a 'consumer', and have bought a few pieces from some of you wonderful folks. The knowledge and talent base here is incredible.

But beer? I know something about that subject.

In my humble, the very best thing beer (ale is a subset of beer) has to offer is vast variety. My goal is to try every product by every maker. Noble aim is it not?

Madison Avenue has sought to severly limit the life experience of Americans. We have 'Budweiser drinkers', 'Chevy Drivers', 'Marlboro Men', etc. Great pity that so many are led to brand loyalty. But, we can't fix stupid.

I have a favorite style of beer (IPA, because I like nose hops), but no favorite brand. They are ALL good, each with it's own expression of the style.

Beer appreciation begins with knowledge, as does enjoyment of just about anything. Read. Learn the styles, history, and tradition of malted beverages. And... stay away from Scotch unless you have an unlimited budget and absolutely nothing else to do. Scotch starts as smokey beer... and then something wonderful happens... but that's another subject.

Right now, I'm going to pour another Leinenkugel's Classic Amber. I like vacation...

RG

Even worse, beers like Budweiser and Miller are becoming more popular in Europe than the traditional brews!

Popular with who? not at any english pub I know. Go and ask for anything not brewed in Britain and you will be called a sissy by your friends and in some cases you might even get spat on :blink: And certainly in the rest of Europe still Czech, German, Dutch and Belgian beer is hugely popular with anyone living elsewhere and the amount of beer clubs and societies which will deliver cases of good stuff to your doorstep is unbelievable. I myself live right over a massive wine, ale and spirits retailer and I can tell you, you will not find Miller or Bud unless we are talking the original czech Bud.

Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...

Rósta að, maðr!

Popular with who? not at any english pub I know. Go and ask for anything not brewed in Britain and you will be called a sissy by your friends and in some cases you might even get spat on :blink: And certainly in the rest of Europe still Czech, German, Dutch and Belgian beer is hugely popular with anyone living elsewhere and the amount of beer clubs and societies which will deliver cases of good stuff to your doorstep is unbelievable. I myself live right over a massive wine, ale and spirits retailer and I can tell you, you will not find Miller or Bud unless we are talking the original czech Bud.

Ah, I had read an article, I have since forgotten where, that mentioned that sales of American style light lagered beer, like the American Budweiser were becoming more popular among the young "hip" set in Europe, much like Heinekin has become the "cool" beer to have here in the States. I shouldn't have been horrified I guess, it would take more than a popular movement among the youngsters to change overall beer culture in Europe. A culture I hope to sample some day! (HA! I'm getting old enough to use words like "youngsters" !)

Guy Thomas

Ah, I had read an article, I have since forgotten where, that mentioned that sales of American style light lagered beer, like the American Budweiser were becoming more popular among the young "hip" set in Europe, much like Heinekin has become the "cool" beer to have here in the States. I shouldn't have been horrified I guess, it would take more than a popular movement among the youngsters to change overall beer culture in Europe. A culture I hope to sample some day! (HA! I'm getting old enough to use words like "youngsters" !)

Sounds like the usual journalistic advertisement.

Let's put it this way, within a 4 sq. mile radius the 8 or so pubs I can go to... none, zero, ninguno, will have american lager. You are lucky (or unlucky depending on your take, if you find Miller's). The local supermarkets don't have it either and only a certain american style bar in the vicinity will sell you either but I still see most youngsters going to their local pub and unless they want a good american burger usually they won't go into said bar and we are speaking of London here where things are a lot more cosmopolitan. In smaller cities and towns you will only find the stuff in massive booze warehouses but I still believe that the best selling lagers around here are Stella Artois, Amstel, Fosters (yuck), San Miguel, Budvar, and so on and on.

Can you get good Belgian beer easily over there Guy?

Rósta að, maðr!

Huh...tough one...I'm kind of into a Shafly pale ale kick. For lagers I'd say Shiner Bock.

Woo-Hoo! Shiner Bock, brewed in Shiner, TX. Ya'll get that up in Ill.? (Yes, I'm a bit slow to respond...)

Brian K.

Brian K.

Rogue Amateur and Weekend Hobbyist

Woo-Hoo! Shiner Bock, brewed in Shiner, TX. Ya'll get that up in Ill.? (Yes, I'm a bit slow to respond...)

Brian K.

Yes we do get it here...I even got it in Cheyenne WY.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Yesterday I saw some Sierra Nevada Ale at the local supermarket (London). Is it really worth having it then?

Rósta að, maðr!

Yesterday I saw some Sierra Nevada Ale at the local supermarket (London). Is it really worth having it then?

I'm assuming that would be the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and yes I think it is certainly worth trying. It's one of my standard go to beers. It's also classified as an American Pale Ale (APA) because it's a bit more hoppy then your English style pale ale. In fact it may even blur the line between Pale Ales and India Pale Ales. By all means give it a shot. Sierra Nevada is one of my favorite craft breweries. I just recently tried Hefeweizens for the first time and Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is delicious. I'm looking forward to trying some of the Hefeweizens and darker wheat beers from German breweries now.

You had asked earlier if the Belgian beers were available here and yes they are. They also are much more expensive than your average beer! I've had limited exposure to them but the few I've tried were superb so they may well be worth the added expense. They are the favored beer for many here in the states who are into craft style beer.

One thing you mentioned about the pubs around you really hit me. We have an amazing variety of beer here in the States available to a relatively small but fervent segment of the population that buys beer. In Europe there seems to be a real beer culture however. It is really frowned on for your average worker here to have a beer with lunch but I don't think that's the case over there! Good beer is always close by and enjoyed by the majority it seems.

Edit: If you buy some of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale check the freshness date. On the paper label there will be a series of numbers just above the UPC bar. If it was brewed this year (as it should be) the first number should be 9 for 2009. The next three numbers should be the day of the year it was bottled based on the Julian calendar.

Edited by Guy Thomas

Guy Thomas

I'm going to have to agree about Sierra Nevada beers. Their pale ale is my standard go to beer. The beer is great and it is readily available. If you ever see their Celebration Ale (comes out only in the winter) stock up. It is a wonderful IPA. The only bad thing about it is that it is seasonal.

No Thor, no hammer.

Know Thor, know hammer!

Look for Anchor Steam beer. They have a fairly wide distribution for a small volume producer. Nicely hopped.

They also make a range of styles, though your friendly beer store may have to order them for you. They made a barley wine at some point, might still.

Check locally for 'brew pubs'. Many of those guys make a respectable ale, and it's good to support local breweries.

We used to have one in Michigan that ran three large operations with a complete food menu. Alas... they wanted a full bar license so the state restricted their beer output. The first to go was an excellent stout. The place shortly closed. Pity.

Another one - Negra Modelo from Mexico. They call it a 'dark ale'. Delicious.

Edited by Russ Glover

• 2 weeks later...
I'm assuming that would be the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and yes I think it is certainly worth trying. It's one of my standard go to beers. It's also classified as an American Pale Ale (APA) because it's a bit more hoppy then your English style pale ale. In fact it may even blur the line between Pale Ales and India Pale Ales. By all means give it a shot. Sierra Nevada is one of my favorite craft breweries. I just recently tried Hefeweizens for the first time and Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is delicious. I'm looking forward to trying some of the Hefeweizens and darker wheat beers from German breweries now.

You had asked earlier if the Belgian beers were available here and yes they are. They also are much more expensive than your average beer! I've had limited exposure to them but the few I've tried were superb so they may well be worth the added expense. They are the favored beer for many here in the states who are into craft style beer.

One thing you mentioned about the pubs around you really hit me. We have an amazing variety of beer here in the States available to a relatively small but fervent segment of the population that buys beer. In Europe there seems to be a real beer culture however. It is really frowned on for your average worker here to have a beer with lunch but I don't think that's the case over there! Good beer is always close by and enjoyed by the majority it seems.

Edit: If you buy some of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale check the freshness date. On the paper label there will be a series of numbers just above the UPC bar. If it was brewed this year (as it should be) the first number should be 9 for 2009. The next three numbers should be the day of the year it was bottled based on the Julian calendar.

You are right, that is what Sierra Nevada Pale Ale seemed to me, it was a lot more crisp, hoppy and sparkly than English pale ale but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, in fact will certainly be having it again.

Yeah people in Europe in general saving their specific cultural differences do like beer with a lot of things for a lot of different occasions, you can sit at the pub and have a pint or two and then if you are eating you might stick to it or go for wine, at lunch time likewise and in front of the telly or just any time you can sit in the sofa and have some beer and crisps or whatever nibbles you fancy, in germany, belgium and holland it is an institution to have beer with your lunch the thing that really screws up the English is that thanks to their draconian regulations as to what times pubs have to close or the huge amounts of tax they put on it then most people have fostered rather silly habits where the goal is to get drunk the quickest way and that usually leads to trouble (which is one of the reasons why Britons are not appreciated in the rest of Europe and that is not one I am making up).

I did use your tip about checking the date, this one was made in february this year.

This might be of interest to you in case you ever see any of these or come across them

http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/galle...entid=149048224

http://www.tastingbeers.com/awards/wba/2009/

Edited by Hÿllyn

Rósta að, maðr!