Coinmaking

I hope this is the right section.

well, I am fascinated by ancient working and after my last experiences with the lost wax, yesterday I decided to try a new work: the coinage of ancient coins.

I like to try new things and I was impressed by the difficulty of completing the punch ... the ancient coinmaker (with their limited tools) were the impressive artist. I have had the opportunity to see many Roman coins and the details are too accurate so I opted for an easier, a Celtic coin: horse, stars and astral conjunction.

I used copper and nordic gold but now I want try to use my bronze, what is a good bronze for coins, very soft and color imitating gold? and what is the method of implementation of the "rod circle" (I do not know the right word in english language), unfortunately I do not know news of this process. Someone knows this process or knows an internet pictorial?

1__800x600_.jpg

2__800x600_.jpg

3__800x600_.jpg

4__800x600_.jpg

Sr. Di Francesco, look for any post by Tom Maringer on this forum, he is not only a knife and sword smith, but also a coiner/minter par excellance. I think he has desciptions of the process on his website.

By the way, nice job on the dies! If your coin blanks had more irregular edges they'd look like real ones! B)

Edited to add: Here's the link to Tom's website. Great stuff!

Edited by Alan Longmire

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments

Alan, thank you for the info, I knew Tom Maringer for its beautiful wire-wrapped handle and not for his coins, he is an artist. Now know some specific terms (punch=dies, rod circle=Blanks ... my English is a disaster :ph34r: ) and I can learn other research. Exact, my next goal is to make more irregular edge for a very antique look.

Alan, you can simply call me Marco, i am 28 :lol:

Congratulations Marcolino, the result is great. I'm anxious to meet you on chat to know about details..

I'm pretty sure all coin striking is done cold, it presents a crisper edge on the details.

Marco, you asked about alloys - a common bronze available in the US that has a nice gold color is called Silicon Bronze, but I'm unsure if it's available there. I've ordered it from these guys before: http://www.atlasmetal.com/

Good luck!

ok...ok guys, yuo can call me Marcolino :lol:

Sam and Christopher thanks, yes, i have done these coins cold (I have quench the copper 2 times in water for annealing) but do not have the crisper edge. The irregular edge was due to the flattening of the blanks before the striking...i assume.

The silicon bronze is a very good color but here is difficult to find, the next time I want to experiment with aluminium-bronze.

Will Atlas not ship to Italy?

I do not know, but I want to save shipping costs by Colorado ... Denver is very far from Rome -_-

I do not have problems to melt bronze, in recent years I have learned a lot and now I own my alloys with copper, tin, lead, aluminum .... the problem is that I want to make a very soft alloy and do not know the exact percentages . This photo shows one of my bronze alloy very similar to gold, now I want to prove his toughness.

My_bronze.jpg