• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephanfowler

J.S. Performance Test Knives

7 posts in this topic

So

as some of you know I plan to test for my J.S. at next year's Blade show.

but first I have to pass the performance test with a Master Smith (See the testing rules HERE )

so obviously I need to make a special knife for the occasion, three of them, to be exact.

my plan is to finish out all three the same and do the full test in my shop twice before I do it for real with the M.S.

Keep in mind that there are a few things I will do differently SPECIFICALLY because this knife is meant to be bent.

Starting out, I forge the point in and draw out a little bit to establish a taper.

js-performance-01.jpg

Forge the bevels in place and knock down the choil

js-performance-02.jpg

pretty much forged to the shape I want here

js-performance-03.jpg

first couple passes on the grinder

js-performance-04.jpg

it's important that the knives be almost exactly the same, so I have a good reference of how the third will perform in the actual test

js-performance-05.jpg

another THOROUGH normalization cycle

js-performance-06.jpg

apply the clay for HT, normally I want 1/3 of the blade surface hard, but for the performance test I really only want a small portion hardened

js-performance-07.jpg

Tempered twice at about 500 F, going for a good bit softer and springier than I usually want. 56 RC should be about what I want. Testing will show for sure

js-performance-08.jpg

Very cool Stephan keep us posted. I have always enjoyed your blades and am sure the testing will go in your favor.

Those are looking really good so far! What type of steel are you using? Could you give us the measurements of the blades? I am sure that you will be able to pass the test. You are a very good maker! Thanks for posting some pictures of your process.

~Hogan Baker

Those are looking really good so far! What type of steel are you using? Could you give us the measurements of the blades? I am sure that you will be able to pass the test. You are a very good maker! Thanks for posting some pictures of your process.

~Hogan Baker

it's Aldo's last batch of 1084 FG

started as 1/4 x 1 1/2

blade is 9.5" and O/A is 14.5"

Good luck with the testing, Stephan!

See you at Bowie's?

Good luck with the testing, Stephan!

See you at Bowie's?

that be the plan.

need to call him up about dates. I'm "hoping" to do my performance test there.

good luck on your test. :)

chris.