Intro and work sample

Andrew C.

Hello all!

My name is Andrew, and I'm a high school student that loves old time crafts. I've been doing bladesmithing (very crude bladesmithing, that is) for several years now, and I found this forum sometime in February. Honestly, I was thrilled to find such an institution, especially since the best bladesmiths in the world seem to hang out here quite often.

I've already learned a lot just from browsing around the forum, and I even made a question post in the beginner's section a while back, but I think it's time for a more formal intro. Anyway here's a sample of some carving work I just finished up. It's one of those hair-pin thigamajiggers that girls like to stick in their hair. I carved it from an ebony log I picked up while I was on a missions trip in Zambia.

IMGP0441.JPG

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of some blades I've done. I really need help with handles.

Thanks for taking a look!

He that will a good edge win must forge thick, and grind thin.

-Colin Sampson

Woah!

Awesome lady's hair pin thingy (I don't know the technical name either) Welcome to the site. I think with a little guidence you could put that carving skills to good use on knife handles.

Cheers,

Nick

Let us have a dagger between our teeth, a bomb in our hands, and an infinite scorn in our hearts.

B. Mussolini

working with steel is easy. you can always add more back onto it if you need to. Working with wood doesn't doesn;t allow for that "undo" feature. I enjoy making the blades, but I very much dislike the handle making and the sheath making.

Also, you're quite right about Don's forum. This is a neat place full of incredible talent and ideas. I like to lurk here quite a bti and just absorb info. I'll bet I spent three months last year just reading through the archives. Granted, reading something isn;t the same as doing it, but I learned what should work, might work, and won't work.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Hello all!

My name is Andrew, and I'm a high school student that loves old time crafts. I've been doing bladesmithing (very crude bladesmithing, that is) for several years now, and I found this forum sometime in February. Honestly, I was thrilled to find such an institution, especially since the best bladesmiths in the world seem to hang out here quite often.

I've already learned a lot just from browsing around the forum, and I even made a question post in the beginner's section a while back, but I think it's time for a more formal intro. Anyway here's a sample of some carving work I just finished up. It's one of those hair-pin thigamajiggers that girls like to stick in their hair. I carved it from an ebony log I picked up while I was on a missions trip in Zambia.

IMGP0441.JPG

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of some blades I've done. I really need help with handles.

Thanks for taking a look!

Welcome. If your carving it that good, you should have no problem with handles. Just carve them real pretty.

Andrew,

Welcome, nice carving ...... have you checked out The Carving Path forum? It would be right up your alley as well as this forum....

Dick

Hey Andrew welcome to the forum man!

That is some seriously beautiful carving work. that level of detail would look great on any blades grip for sure! :)

Keep us posted on the work you finish for sure and don't be a stranger.

God bless bro and keep at the awesome work!

Dave D.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

Thanks guys!

It's encouraging to hear such kind words from fellow craftsmen like yourselves. I am planning to do some handle carving as soon as I get an acceptable blade forged. Hopefully it will be something with knot work. :)

Andrew

He that will a good edge win must forge thick, and grind thin.

-Colin Sampson

Thanks for joining us and sharing your work. Stick around. SO much to learn here. This forum has changed my life! No joke.

Mine too, in a BIG way!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Andrew, very nice carving--not the easiest wood to work with. You should post your location, there might just be some folks close that would be of help to you (I know it worked for me).

Theres so much i don't know, i could write a book about it.

Hi Andrew :)

I agree, if you can carve something like that, then handles will come easy.

I got started with this stuff at 12, so I can really appreciate where you're at right now (I'm 31 now). It's a bit of an oddity to a lot of high school aged kids to make knives, so finding friends on a forum like Don's that will help and encourage your endeavors is just as big of a help as the technical stuff.

Or so me thinks. :)

Looking forward to seeing your blade work! :)

hey bro great carving!!! did you mimic a something you saw there ??? or is that something you just came up with ???

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

an official welcome to the forums

^_^

nice hair pin .. and especially nice carving.

(personally i tend to call them hair pokey sticks :))

i kinda agree that you shouldnt have any issues with handles once you can adapt your great carving skills to putting wood to blade.

:)

it just seems a little different at the start.

enjoy the trip.

deeDWF4.jpg