Hey guys, I'm looking for a source for some 15 N 20. I know Admiral has some but I need stock that is thicker then the .065 that they carry. Google didn't turn much up but it could have been my search terms. Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Hi. Sometimes you can find a junk saw blade. Careful, a lot of them are high chrome with low to medium carbon. Use your 15N20 sample coupon to do a comparative spark test.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a free junk circular saw blade 26" in diameter. I e-mailed and asked if the blade had carbide tips. The person said he did not know what "carbide" is. I picked it up and all the teeth were mangled. Brought out the grinding wheel and coupons, and SCORE! I am just storing it in case a local bladesmith needs it, since I have a lot of 15N20 that was spectro'ed.

Eric

I don't know anyone who has it in decent thicknesses, the stuff I have is only good for fillet knives and patternwelding. Too bad, I would like to get some 1/4" thick or so, but it is hard to find.

If you do find thicker stock, let us know....

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Michael give this a try info@uddeholmstrip.com 800-321-3014 they are the manufacturer and are in Brunswick Ohio, i don't know if they will sell to you but they should be able to hook you up with a distributor. Let us know if this works out . Scott

Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. (a sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.) Lucius Annaeus Seneca

You could always forge weld a couple layers together to get your desired thickness. I am sure if you can not do it there are more than a few here willing to do it cheaply.

Chris

Chris Williams

Thanks for the sources! I would have liked to had about .25 since that would balance out my billets better but I suppose I could just double the 15N20 up in the billets to get my thickness. I'll try a couple of the sources you guys suggested and see if I can find anything thicker and I'll report when I know more.

Thanks again

Michael, there is no thicker 15N20, it's band saw material. Some of the larger circle saw blades might have been

15N20 but are more likely to be 8670. Which doesn't have enough nickel, for me.

I mix .050 to.090" 15N20 with 1/4" 1084 and it looks great.

Hope this helps,

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

Thank you Don. I will work up a few bars to see how the pattern comes out. I am still trying to go with more historical pieces so I was thinking that even thickness of the material would work best but I'll work with what I can get.

Michael,

Have you considered L-6? You can get that from Crucible in 1" round bars.... visualy it looks like 15N20..... you'll have to check the specs to see if it meets your requirements ... But it is not that much different from 15n20.....

Dick

Hi Dick,

I have been using O1/L6 but I'm starting to demand tighter twists and more complex welds so I thought I would step back and use some W2 and 15n20 since it is a little more user friendly. Hopefully I can work out some of the problems I have been having so I can get more consistent results.

Michael, 01/L6 is a good mix but like you've found, it can be pain. I quit using 01 and L6 for pattern welding years ago, just wasn't worth the trouble to me. A few folks have great success with it.

15N20 doesn't have the chromium and other alloys that L6 has, so none of the probs. The chromium in 01 also adds to the probs.

1084/15N20 and W2/15N20 are both unbelievably easy. Both perform great also, but the W2 mix is super!!!

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

Why not just thin down the size of your other material? The last sword we posted was 40 layers 15n20 and 16ga banding strap made in just one weld. Its a little tricky at first but I just hand weld the entire billet gently and then take it to the hammer. I was working with 12" long material and each billet gave me a sword and a large seax.

Basicly even thickness of both materials.