Induction Forge from OCP Tool Co.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no smoke, short cycle times, fuel is already plumbed in the shop, its cheep on fuel.... ... .... only draw back i can tell is that your limited to size of stock .... but knife making deals with mostly rounds... so no prob

do you think with some wool insulation and a small clay graphite crucible that you could melt steel.... :wacko: ... just small stuff like 1/4 lbs melts..

anyhow... very very nice machine with alot of potential... I'm totally stoked

Greg

man oh man!!ive been dreaming of this thing for the last 6months...amazing tool...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Have not done any melting (well, not on purpose anyway) But it is used in that manner. Not sure what crucible material is best. I can heat graphite alone to an incandescence that you can't even look at, I mean like looking at the sun! It will heat anything that conducts electricity. So the question would be would it be better to let the hot crucible heat the charge or use a non-conducting crucible and have the induction heat the charge directly? It's usually done with a non-conducting crucible I believe.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000FF"][size="5"][b]Perfection[/b][/size]

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

Have not done any melting (well, not on purpose anyway) But it is used in that manner. Not sure what crucible material is best. I can heat graphite alone to an incandescence that you can't even look at, I mean like looking at the sun! It will heat anything that conducts electricity. So the question would be would it be better to let the hot crucible heat the charge or use a non-conducting crucible and have the induction heat the charge directly? It's usually done with a non-conducting crucible I believe.

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

is 2 inch round outta the question for this machine ????

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Blacklion: Yeah probably. No, certainly.

is there a next size up????able to heat 2 to 3 inch round pieces ?how big of a jump in size and price is that?(if available)....

I can't stress how impressed I have been with my induction forge. I have used this machine for about 2 years and for 7 hours straight one day and it performed flawlessly. It works wonders for forging, ( It does change the way in which you forge because you can control the heat zone).

Forge welds with ease (although size is limited so I very seldom use it for this), and over the past few months Dave Lisch and myself have been testing heat treating with it, which it has shown its ability to do so with an improvement in grain structure over heat treating with a salt bath. However because of the frequency this too has some limitations.

I have also hard soldered full nickel silver sheaths with it (although that is a bit tricky).

I use it to take the hardness out of the tang of blades after heat treat and occasionally for light heating to take out warpage.

Every week I seem to find another use for it in the shop, heck I have even heated up the steering bar for my tractor when I was changing out the ball joints that were rusted on tight. Heated them to a dull red and they came off no problem.

Great piece of equipment :excl:

Tom Ferry

is there a next size up????able to heat 2 to 3 inch round pieces ?how big of a jump in size and price is that?(if available)....

Unfortunately It gets a little more complicated than that. This machine runs 30 - 100 KHz frequency, yeah that's 100,000 cycle compared to house current that is 60 cycle. To heat that large of a piece require around 3 KHz. That kink of equipment gets very expensive, and yes, more power.

Thanks Tom! Your input is always valued.

Is that a seperate cooling system that's required to run one of these things in additon to the heater itself? How much does one of those run?

Yup... need the separate cooling system....

Here's the breakdown when I ordered it :rolleyes:

$2995 for the unit... came with 3 coils...

$300 for the optional wand... lets you move the coil to the piece ... rather than the piece to be heated to the coil...

$633 for the Tig Cooler... Here's the one Grant recommended...

http://stores.ae-welding-industrial.com/-s...100G/Detail.bok

Forgot how much the recommended coolant was... but you can also use distilled water... I went with the recommended one... :lol:

$20 for the vinyl hose and clamps for plumbing....

$ 8/3 wire and plug...is what I used to hook this up to my 220 50 amp receptacle that I had already for my stick welder...

I already had the cart for it... so that was free :lol:

Of course I had to pay an arm and a leg... and another leg to get it all shipped to Hawaii...

Sheesh... price of paradise I guess... :wacko:

Don't let the price fool you... or my comments... for all the potential and benefits that this machine and set up represent for me.... its way way worth the price.... IMHO....

I'll try to get more progress pics up by the weekend...

Thanks to all the "Experts" offering advice and comments.... I really appreciate it...

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

O.k.... Sorry for the delay in posting my progress... life sure get's busy some times :rolleyes:

I finally found some time to get this plumbed and wired...

First you have this left hand thread pain in the butt that you need to switch out with a regular barb fitting so you can get coolant from the tig cooler to the head unit...

Barb_1.JPG

Barb_2.JPG

Barb_3.JPG

Barb_4.JPG

Barb_5.JPG

Got it all plumbed and Grant recommended flushing the whole unit to get out any debris or beasties that might be in the unit... so I ran 5 gallons of distilled water through it... I used distilled because that it what the cooler recommends...

Then I filled it with a little over 3 gallons of the coolant / pump lubricant that Dynaflux recommends... cool green color :lol:

Getting there...

Almost forgot to put a coil on... that would have been a disaster :wacko:

Flush_1.JPG

Flush_2.JPG

Flush_3.JPG

Flush_4.JPG

Flush_5.JPG

Flush_6.JPG

One... I mean two ... quick calls to Grant for some last minute questions before blast off... and voila... success...

Man!... this thing is awesome!.... its one thing to see it in pictures... or even you tube... its another to see it for yourself!...

I tried some wrought iron... in seconds it was glowing.... then I tried some W2 I got from Don way way back... and same thing... seconds.. and it was glowing....

I had this big grin I couldn't wipe off my face.... had to call Grant and tell him this thing is COOL!.... er... I mean HOT!.... I think FUN was also thrown in there :lol:

Thanks for putting up with me Grant... you're the best!

Success_1.JPG

Success_2.JPG

Success_3.JPG

Success_4.JPG

Success_5.JPG

Success_6.JPG

Success_7.JPG

Success_8.JPG

So here's the final product...

Took Grant's advice and put everything on a cart... nice long cord to read the forging area with the Little Giant...

I also took some video... just gotta figure out how to get it on you tube....

Can't thank Grant enough... cool dude for sure! :lol:

Hope this has helped anyone curious, wondering and or interested in these unit....

I'm not the expert on these... but I sure am willing to answer any questions out there about setting it up.... if I can do it... anyone can :rolleyes:

Oh .. forgot to mention ... the heat pics were on half power... it wasn't even set on its max setting....

Mahalo All! :lol:

Done_1.JPG

Done_2.JPG

Done_3.JPG

Done_4.JPG

Done_5.JPG

Hi Craig,

For reference, what's the size of the round stock. The straight bar looks a little bigger, maybe one inch? Nice set up, don't don't leave it out in the rain :D .

Take care, Craig

What a cool setup! Congrats Craig on getting it going, looks like alot of potential it will be cool to see what you can do with it.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Lotta hand holding on this one, for sure, but that's fine too! Don't ever let Craig near any of your electrical appliances! This guy is dangerous! Actually he's safer than many because he understands his own limitations and is not afraid to ask questions. Nice looking job there Craig, I knew you could do it! After, what, the 20th phone call, I got him calling me, sounds like he's wetting himself and jumping up and down and laughing (giggling actually) and raving like a maniac. Just exactly like a kid who just got his favorite Christmas present. Don't you wish you could feel like that again?

Thanks for the pictures Craig. Glad you got 'er going. Oh, and thank for the Kona coffee and Mac nuts.

Hi Craig,

For reference, what's the size of the round stock. The straight bar looks a little bigger, maybe one inch? Nice set up, don't don't leave it out in the rain :D .

Take care, Craig

Hey Craig,

The wrought was 3/4 and the W2 was about .83 .... can't wait to try some larger stock but for now... this is great... I've got a bunch of the smaller W2 stock....

No worries... I won't leave it out in the rain :lol:

Let's get plan a get together sometime... you gotta see this thing... I've read the literature on how it works so I understand it from a technical standpoint... but watching it is just amazing...

If it doesn't bring a big grin to your face... I'll buy dinner :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Craig

What a cool setup! Congrats Craig on getting it going, looks like alot of potential it will be cool to see what you can do with it.

Thanks Sam!

This will make finding some shop time alot easier... so maybe I can actually forge something :blink:

I'm thinking of all kinds of things and possibilities... downloaded a bunch of technical information just to learn about the concept... even got some on coil design that I haven't the slightest idea of the technical jargon they are using... I'll muddle my way through... nice thing is I'm pretty sure I can experiment with coil design.... Grant says these things are pretty tough and have lots of safeguards on them (I read that as Craig resistant).... so I should be safe :lol:

I'll post some things as I get more time with this.... still gotta get the hang of the 25lb LG :rolleyes:

How's things with your set up... been watching your threads... cool stuff!

Take Care,

Craig

Lotta hand holding on this one, for sure, but that's fine too! Don't ever let Craig near any of your electrical appliances! This guy is dangerous! Actually he's safer than many because he understands his own limitations and is not afraid to ask questions. Nice looking job there Craig, I knew you could do it! After, what, the 20th phone call, I got him calling me, sounds like he's wetting himself and jumping up and down and laughing (giggling actually) and raving like a maniac. Just exactly like a kid who just got his favorite Christmas present. Don't you wish you could feel like that again?

Thanks for the pictures Craig. Glad you got 'er going. Oh, and thank for the Kona coffee and Mac nuts.

Yup... you'd think we were dating :lol:

You notice I didn't take a pic of the inside of the electrical box... you don't wanna know what that looks like :wacko: .... nah... everything nice and neat... :lol:

Thanks Grant... I'm pretty happy with how it all came out.... and actually I think it was probably more like 30 phone calls :unsure: but who's counting....

I was actually pretty excited when I called.... and now that I think about it... I was giggling... this is just too cool when you see it for the first time :lol: You're right... haven't felt like that since I got my first bicycle :lol:

I know I said a ton of time... but thanks Grant... you've been helpful, pleasant, patient, funny and most generous with your time...

Now about those coil designs... I've got a few questions.... :lol:

Coffee and Nuts are on me... just let me know when you run out or low...

Mucho Mahalo's

Craig