Induction Forge from OCP Tool Co.

For the first time since I moved into the woods I'm envious of you guys on the grid.... I guess I'll have to buy more solar panels LOL....

very cool machine.... looks like it could have many apps.....thanks for all the photos and tutorial about it....I'll look forward to seeing more....

Dick

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get plan a get together sometime... you gotta see this thing... I've read the literature on how it works so I understand it from a technical standpoint... but watching it is just amazing...

If it doesn't bring a big grin to your face... I'll buy dinner :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me. I'll eat ahead of time in case it's hard to break away for dinner.

Take care, Craig

Coil design? You just went out on your first date and already you wanna know what other girls are like!

Coffee? Ya know how some guys have a "beer belly"? Well I got a coffee "pot". Lucky my son-in-law is an exec at Starbucks!

Edited by nakedanvil

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000FF"][size="5"][b]Perfection[/b][/size]

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out how to upload video on youtube...

Here's the live action on the first heat ever with my machine...

Of course you can't seen the big smile on my face as this is all happening but I assure you I was grinning ear to ear :lol:

So, why are you still running at 1/2 power? Crank that sucker up! Once you get the end hot, push it through slowly and "chase" the heat along. Looking good there Craig, have fun!

Grant

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

.......What the bloody hell....... :ph34r:

That is mind blowing.

Just imagine hopping into a time machine with that thing. & going back in time and showing that to a smith of old...

I'm amazed it works for forge welding. This video even shows a guy getting one to burning temp within seconds:

Edited by David D3

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

From Davids website: "Behold, I have created the Blacksmith that bloweth the coals on the fire, and brings forth an instrument for his work" Isaiah 54:16 Older bibles say "brings forth a weapon".

So, if you took one back in time, where would you plug it in?

Welding is just a matter of getting it hot with a minimum of scaling.

Edited by nakedanvil

So, why are you still running at 1/2 power? Crank that sucker up! Once you get the end hot, push it through slowly and "chase" the heat along. Looking good there Craig, have fun!

Grant

Fooled around making a coil... 2.5" 7 turns... fired it up full power with a piece of Don Hanson's 2 1/8" W2... got it hot and smoking but no "magic" .... left it in there for over 20 minutes just to see... then just shut it off....

Then cut a slice of the same material 1.25"... that got hot, smoking ... but again... no "magic"... although I was holding it with vise grips and probably could have got it up to heat... I'm gonna weld a bar to it and try again...

Also gonna try a coil with 4 turns... maybe a square ... got lots of copper tubing :0)

I know... I know... "just learned to stand and he's trying to run already".... but I gotta try.... and you said to have fun...

So I'm having fun....

I'll post some pics later of the coil and the process... didn't have alot of time today... but it sure was fun...

From Davids website: "Behold, I have created the Blacksmith that bloweth the coals on the fire, and brings forth an instrument for his work" Isaiah 54:16 Older bibles say "brings forth a weapon".

So, if you took one back in time, where would you plug it in?

Welding is just a matter of getting it hot with a minimum of scaling.

oookkk???... :huh:

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks?

Edited by David D3

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

David: I just saw the quote on your website and thought you might like the less P.C. interpretation.

You remember what's on your own website?

Edited by nakedanvil

O.k..... having some fun experimenting and making coils...

It's alot easier than I thought...

Got all this 2 1/8 W2 from Don Hanson...

Don told me he gets a good size bar out of a slice of his bar... so this is about a 1 1/2 slice... about a 10" bar after forging? :wacko:

So... I figured I'd play with coil design...

The first coil was a bust... 7 turns... too many... got frustrated and walked away from it when it didn't work.... then decided to make more today...

I figure its always good to take some time off when I know I am frustrated... especially when I working with potentially dangerous equipment :unsure: (translation... I'm a chicken... but I'm an alive chicken :rolleyes: )

Anyway... ended up with some new coils to experiment with the potential of this new tool...

Here's the pics....

9 1.JPG

9 2.JPG

9 3.JPG

9 4.JPG

9 5.JPG

9 6.JPG

Then it was off to the Induction Forge to test things out...

It literally take me a couple minutes to roll it out... plug it in ... attache a coil and get "heat"... I don't have much time with family, work and chores... so this will at least make it easier to find some forging time... :rolleyes:

First up is the edge coil... that was cool!... I was grinning and smiling the whole time I was testing these for the first time...

The last series are seeing if the forge would heat the slice of 2 1/8 W2... sheesh... it not only heated it... but I got it to melting temp... I'll have to check the time again... I'll be posting some videos of all of this on my Youtube....

I did the slice and the whole bar... just for kicks....

Thanks Grant and Don..... this thing is a blast! :lol:

9 7.JPG

9 8.JPG

9 9.JPG

9 10.JPG

9 11.JPG

9 12.JPG

9 13.JPG

9 14.JPG

9 15.JPG

Thanks Don....

Its aways a pleasure to talk with you too...

Spoke with Grant after... he had some great encouragement and tips for me as well....

I know you are on dial up but if you get to a computer on cable... I've got some videos of the whole thing as well...

Here's one of the coils supplied with the Induction Forge heating 1 3/8" Wrought iron...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JDHforge#play/uploads/3/MWe6fNnUN5g

Here's one of the coil I made today for edge heating... 3/16ths 1095...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JDHforge#play/uploads/2/ahtj9Pkuovs

Here's one of the same coil but with 1/8 1080...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JDHforge#play/uploads/1/B4rIR9WhZwY

Here's one of the coil I made today heating that 1 1/2" slice of 2 1/8th inch W2 Round Bar

http://www.youtube.com/user/JDHforge#play/uploads/0/aQRIFWMih0E

Here's the last of the 4 turn coil I made today heating the end of a whole bar of 2 1/8" W2 Round Bar...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JDHforge#play/uploads/0/FmJtPG01qbM

Enjoy .... Hope that this thread helps folks out there learn a bit about induction forges and heating...

I'll post more as I go along... I'm learning alot...

Thanks Grant.... you've been a patient coach and great friend through all of this!

Seems like the lead coil in the flow get's things a bit hotter, I wonder if that exaggerates when you get bigger and bigger stock and coil size. Nice though, I like that edge heating shot, COOL COOOL COOL toy Craig!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Seems like the lead coil in the flow get's things a bit hotter, I wonder if that exaggerates when you get bigger and bigger stock and coil size. Nice though, I like that edge heating shot, COOL COOOL COOL toy Craig!

Thanks Sam... I'm not too sure but you may be right... I'm gonna keep experimenting with coils to see what I like and don't like... That rectangular coil seems about the most versatile... I'll try a 4 turn coil and see if that doesn't heat even better...

Next will be trying different materials... Yup... its pretty hard not to grin and chuckle a bit to yourself when you watch this thing heat things up.... especially after watching the propane forge :rolleyes:

How's that new hammer treating you?

See if I can do this embeded video. Here's a pretty neat coil:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

O.K now I see I had my auto-focus turned off, damn! Video cameras "lie" when it comes to heated steel, it's not as hot as it looks. Hot steel is like pointing your camera at the sun or pointing a flashlite into the lens. I'll have to find out what can be done, maybe a filter? Anyone got the straight skinny? (skinny? Does that date me?)

That's a very cool coil!

Of course now you realize I'm gonna have to try to figure out how to make one :blink:

On the video.... try zooming out a bit or positioning the camera farther back before you zoom in... its all about light perspective... I've noticed the same thing with my pictures and videos.... seems to help.... anyway... I'm not a videographer... as you can tell from my videos :P gonna have to figure out how to edit...

Nah... you're not old... Giant Redwoods and dinosaurs... now that's old :D

After you've made a few tries, I'll make a video of how to make that coil.

After you've made a few tries, I'll make a video of how to make that coil.

You got a deal!... may take me a while... you know me... watching grass grow is like watching NASCAR compared to waiting for me to get something done :lol:

Will this induction forge heat titanium round bar?

Craig,

WOW Soooo cool..... can the machine be set so it only heats to a set temp? Looking at that straight coil it would make a great Hamon maker even if you couldn't set the temp and had to judge by eye as the blade came up to temp.... the possibities of this machine appear to be endless.... So cool

Dick

O.K. Craig, pay attention now. I start with 3/16 tubing and bend it in a tight "hairpin". Notice I've hammered any kinks out - the tube does not have to be round. Then I anneal the bend by heating dull red and quenching in water, Clamp one leg in the vise and twist as shown. Put one leg straight down in the vise and start winding, be sure to anneal the first 2 inches or so to make the tight bend (note plier!). Then I wind it tight and go back over it with a screw-driver to open it up. START FROM THE OUTSIDE and work your way into the center. Might have to repeat 2-3 times. Make sure no coils touch. Note that I use a "trick" that is useful in forge work where you have two 90 degree bends right next to each other. Bent a 180 and then twist. Done that on many jobs. Look at picture #4. 90 degrees coming up and 90 degrees going right.

first bend.jpg

anneal.jpg

2bend.jpg

2bendb.jpg

2bendc.jpg

start coil.jpg

wind tight.jpg

wind pry.jpg

wind finish.jpg

Edited by nakedanvil

Grant, what happens if coils touch?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots