Sign in to follow this  
umbo

"Viking" sword

thanks John ! if you are not sure at 100%, you must still believe that it's ok ! :) I cross my finger for you !

Here is a very little video (a longer will be coming soon). I had a problem with the larger of the tip for the first sword, you can see on the video the method I used to have more "material" at the point (between 28s and 30s on the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuFaeEKB5U

here is the wood I choosed for the scabbard and handle (curly mapple). I'm not completely sure for the pommel and guard I will make...

epee14.jpg

epee15.jpg

Great video. I really liked the last video you made of your sword making progress. I learned a lot from it.

This is looking great. Looking forward to seeing it done!

--Dave

that is really beautiful.

thanks for the videos, too. I like them a lot. You are a very talented artist.

kc

here I am !!!

sorry for the delay... the project start again...

Here is the pieces of bronze for the guard and pommel, and curly mapple for the handle (there will be silver later).

It's just the beginning but it's pleasant to can take the sword in hand !

viking22.jpg

viking23.jpg

ooh, that is looking so great! I have been waiting to see your progress. This will be truly epic.

How wide was the blade prewelded and then after you welded? How thick?

Edited by Jared Stier

Umbo,

Cool! I was hoping you'd update this project.

Your carved handles are some of the best out there. I can't wait to see how you finish this off.

Did you ever make the longer version of the movie? Or are you waiting until the entire blade is finished?

Cheers,

Dave

How wide was the blade prewelded and then after you welded? How thick?

the blade was 7cm wide before welding, and 5cm now. Thickness is 6mm to 4mm at 10cm of the tip : it is a little too thick at the point, but the customer want a heavy blade...

Your carved handles are some of the best out there. I can't wait to see how you finish this off.

Thank uou Dave, but I don't think the handle will be carved...I'm not sure...

Did you ever make the longer version of the movie? Or are you waiting until the entire blade is finished?

The part of the movie for the blade is finished, but there is not the sound (commentary)...

Beautiful work Umbo.

Does anyone know of a source of measurements of swords of this type in archeological finds? I am looking for dimensions of typical guard and pommel parts as well as information on sites where weapons have been found.

Thanks in advance.

Cant anyone answer this question? What is a typical size: length, width and thickness of a Viking sword guard and pommel?

ks

Hi Keith, There is a very good book called 'Swords of the Viking Age' , by Ian peirce that details many historical finds and their clasifications.

Another swordy question, how is the pommel generally held in place ? Ive read the above book, and looked lots online and am still non the wiser.

John, the pommel is a two-piece affair, called an "upper guard" and then the pommel proper. The upper guard is attached as one would a peened pommel, then the pommel cap thingy is attached by rivets on either narrow side of the tang. I thought there was some discussion of that in the book you mentioned? I may be imagining things though, it's early and I have a headache... :wacko:

I would love to own that book but at the moment I dont and thought someone might be willing to throw around some general figures.

Sorry if the question was out of line.

Keit S, the book "'Swords of the Viking Age'" is my principal historical ressource.

Here is the ended sword ! (I will make the scabbard after, at november)

I make bronze pommel and guard with twist silver inlay. Sorry, my vocabulary is not so good to explain, but I think you will understand the work.

Hope you will enjoy it.

viking24.jpg

viking25.jpg

viking29b.jpg

bigger picture here : http://www.elfic.fr/scrimimages/viking/viking29.jpg

viking28b.jpg

bigger picture here :http://www.elfic.fr/scrimimages/viking/viking28.jpg

viking27b.jpg

bigger picture here :http://www.elfic.fr/scrimimages/viking/viking27.jpg

NICE!!! it is finally done. I like alot.

Here are the videos of the making of the blade of the Viking sword, others will follow for the achievement of the handle.

I'm sorry, there are no comments in English, it will come soon.

Part one

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregdelaunay?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/gLlObpob6lg

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregdelaunay?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/2f01tU9akqY

Edited by umbo

Amazing I am so glad that you put those videos together.

Epic videos! thanks for sharing - I forgot what a huge ammount of work one of these swords is!

What is the capacity and make of your power hammer?

Thanks!

my power hammer is little : 40pound , but it works well...

I loved the videos... Highly educational and motivational. Thanks to you for putting them online and to Jared S. for having them show up in my news feed. They're awesome. Merci Beaucoups.

Brice

Sign in to follow this