Hello Everyone in Bladeworld!

Ally

Hello everyone!

I am new to Don's forums, but not to bladesmithing. My husband of almost two years now has been forging blades for five years, and reciently (last ten months or so) decided to take my advice and focus on his true passion... Japanese Style blades! You may have heard of him... Smith-Forge aka John Smith. Yeppers, that is right, I am Mrs. John Smith, and darned proud of it... and him! Sooo... when you see me post in responce to a blade he has posted, keep in mind I am 100% biased! LOL! I believe him to be truely gifted in his talent for forging and heat treating his beautiful blades. Despite the time it might take away from family happenings, he belongs at his forge doing what he loves. The results speak for themself!

Other then supporting John, I am very excited to get the chance to view everyone else's work in here. John says a lot of good things about a lot of you, but waits until we are away from the computers and he can't show me what he's talking about. So... now I shall see for myself!

Thanks everyone! See you in the forums!

~Allyson

Welcome Allyson!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

this is really cool!!!!! welcome !!!!

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Allyson! Great to have you here!

-Jim

Now, mind you all, I do not myself forge. I tried for about 5-10 minutes once, and my arm was killing me! I have, however, helped a very few times with woodwork and such. I guess my biggest job in John's shop is to let him know what he's doing that is good and what isn't so good (though isn't that the job of a wife period?). I keep him on his toes, and make sure he doesn't sell himself short when he gets discouraged.

Other then that, I am here to see work that others are doing. Thanks for all the welcomes! See you in the forums!

~Allyson

Thanks Ally, and I do love forging Japanese Style Blades. However I think I spend a fair amount of time with the family LOL. Now see what I started!!!!!

Any how Ally has tried to forge a little bit, but has a hard time holding the hammer so she just micro manages and looks over my shoulder if she is in the shop LOL. Makes me nervous some times.

And yes Our youngest daughter loves being in my shop and helping me, when I am not doing anything with any sharp pointy objects, but you'd think she had been at work all day.

I am hoping one of my three children will take up the mantle. My money is on Victoria......

And this is why I love her and the children.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Welcome, aboard Mrs. Smith! The Price is right (no game-show pun intended, at least sort of), you should try some small blades.

Thanks,

Edited by RedNeckLeftie

Brian K.

Rogue Amateur and Weekend Hobbyist

Ally, have you ever thought of doing something like this?

Miniature Knives

Wouldn't kill your arm, that's for sure.

Yeah, the thought had occured to me, mostly at John's suggestion, that us working in the shop together would be pretty cool. A husband and wife team, him doing the forging and I forming the sheaths and such. I do have some artistic ability, and thought that learning how to do decrative carving and maybe even scrimshaw (appologize if it's misspelled) would be exciting. John has his own way of doing things, however, and his way and my way do not mix! LOL! Besides, I just can't see the blade inside the billet yet. John basically knows how things will turn out when he starts... all I see is a steel bar. He's definately the one with the talent!

No, currently I stay home with the kids while John's in his shop, and I am going back to school. I am studying to be a paralegal, and in a year when I have my Bachelor's I will be atteneding law school. Three years until I get my Master's and am elegible to attempt the Bar exam. We are hoping a job like that will allow John to forge full time and not have to have a 'normal' job himself. Also, by that time the kids will all be school-aged, so we won't have to worry so much about finding a babysitter for William (now 7 months old). The trick is going to be finding enough income to support the family until I can find a decent law firm.

Thanks for all your support!

~Allyson

Now I gotta filter the Lawyer jokes. :D

Good luck to both of you, soulds like you have a great relationship and a plan, and that can be a mighty thing.

Hope to see you both sometime next year when I get back to the DC area.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith