cable seax, new shop

Kevin Colwell

Greetings Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have had anything to post. I have been very busy, though. We moved into our FIRST HOME! This means that I have been building myself a workshop in one of the bays of the garage.

One comment I would like to make, is that I also finally got a new grinder. It is a Grizzly knife belt sander, because its all I could reasonably spend (college profs don't make a lot). The step up to the 1 hp Grizzly after the 1/3 hp Delta is amazing. Quiet, fast, with a bucket of water and a little modification you can catch most of the grit and sawdust to make it relatively clean. It is a HUGE difference. Anyone who is new, if you are serious about this stuff and can wait to save the extra $300 to get a Grizzly rather than a Craftsman or Delta, it is exponentially better.

So, there are 3 pics of my new and ever-improving workspace. Notice the worktables and shelves that are very sturdily constructed but not very pretty as furniture goes. Building this stuff has been a lot of fun, and though they are ugly, they are tough and functional. It is a pleasure to work in the new shop.

The Knife:

11 " blade

15.5" aol

Wire Rope Damascus (Thanks to a certain member - I am going to weld up another section and get you a pukko out of it now that this one is done)!

handle - stainless steel, nickel silver, leather, and bird's eye maple.

This was a lot of fun. It was my first experience with welding cable, and it worked well (the welding did). I am definitely going to make a lot more of this type, as long as I can trade for cable.

Thanks for looking, comments, encouragement, and advice are welcomed. As always, I am trying to learn without a local teacher, so the information I get from you guys is really important to me.

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Nice dude!

They keep getting better!

The cable weld looks nice and clean.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

i really like that knife.. you did good man.. you rock.. congrats on the work space.. i wish i had more room..

chris.

i could complain but who would listen.

chris.

Turned out great bud.Bet you are having a ball in your new shop.Going to get my hands on some 2 1/2 inch cable at a customers. Big old rusty stuff but what the heck, free is free. Let me know..... Tim

Cool knife, all the cable I have gotten has had those plastic centers. <_< I upgraded on thursday from an angle grinder to a 1x30 from central machinery, so I know the feeling. ;)

Edited by MJDForge

Matthew Dempsey
Archangel Blades
archangel.knives@gmail.com
Ironwork
Custom Knives

https://www.facebook.com/archangel.blades

I pulled hundreds of feet of cable out of the woods and there is still miles back there. I have tried unsuccessfully to weld some but recently read a tutorial and I`m ready to try again.

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

Cool knife, all the cable I have gotten has had those plastic centers. <_< I upgraded on thursday from an angle grinder to a 1x30 from central machinery, so I know the feeling. ;)

I think I know how we can work around that rope in the center. B)

Edited by Isaiah Lake

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

Thanks for the kind words. The cable welded really well, with a lot of hammering. I love the pattern, it is intricate and looks like an insect wing or reptile skin. I hope the new shop will help my continued development. If nothing else, I have more room and better acces to everything, and a workspace that I can keep cleaner of dust and grit. The better grinder allows a catch bucket, and that helps a lot.

As we were moving, I packed all of the knives that I have made (except one I "tested" to death and a kukri I sold). I can see a really big progression from the first to this one. Much of this improvement is due to the advice and encouragement from people on this forum (too many to name all, everyone seems to help everyone else).

Thanks

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs