idle circuit for blown burner

john marcus

simple solution...

What if you were to plumb in some globe valves...the 90° type with the lever to turn them on/off. if you made a small stop on this, you could easily turn it "off" which would cut fuel flow to whatever you had the stop set at. This could be the minimum flow for sustained burn.

I have one of these valves on my set-up, but I use it only as an emergency shut-off. I use a small 1/4" valve from oxy/acetylene torches to dial back the fuel when needed.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

John,

You might try this arrangement on the pdf file attached.

It came from another forum, and at least one forge controller has been built and is being used successfully from the design. It does require the purchase of a PID controller and some other hardware, but with careful shopping it shouldn't be too expensive. ;)

Parallel_Burner_Controller.pdf

Mike

John,

You might try this arrangement on the pdf file attached.

It came from another forum, and at least one forge controller has been built and is being used successfully from the design. It does require the purchase of a PID controller and some other hardware, but with careful shopping it shouldn't be too expensive. ;)

Parallel_Burner_Controller.pdf

thanks looks like it would control the temp as well

Edited by john marcus

infinite edge cutlery

john marcus Posted Today, 03:23 PM

thanks looks like it would control the temp as well

The design was recommended primarily for temperature control, making it possible to idle a blown forge at whatever temperature you want within the limits of the blowers and burner used. It was reported that this controller set up would hold the forge to +/- 5 F of the desired set point, without the undesired flash(WHOOSH) of using forge temperature reignition. :o

This could also be used to operate a gas powered heat treat forge with the addition of a muffle to minimize steel decarbeurization.

Mike