DFogg

Registering for the Forum

I am glad you want to join our community and you are welcome. We encourage members to use their real names when they register. I have to personally accept each new registration and cryptic or suspicious user names are hard to distinguish from spammers. I don't have time to contact each new registration to confirm that you are a real person and will just delete those that do not look real.

I would encourage you to send me an email when you register. I will approve your registration immediately when I receive your email and welcome you aboard. Be sure to include your user name when you write so I know who to approve. This would be very helpful, thank you.

Don

I wanted to put this post back on top and reinforce Don's words.

I have been handling new member approval for a while now, and I have a few other words of advice:

1. Please use your real name or a variation of your real name. It's getting to the point where I do not approve cute or silly usernames. You are NOT "swordmaster," "forgegod," "pestilence," or "bonecrusher." The use of real names shows respect for the forum and the collective expertise gathered here.

2. Speaking of respect, do not upload offensive avatars or signiture lines. A few weeks ago a new member uploaded an avatar calculated to be offensive to at least three major religions and a few ethnic groups besides. I deleted that avatar and politely asked him to use something less confrontational. This user replied with great disrespect to the whole forum, and has been summarily and permanently banned. I will not hesitate to do that.

3. Spam links in your signiture line are expressly prohibited and will also get you permanently removed. Email addresses that are obviously spam sites will result in your approval being denied.

4. When you register you will be sent a confirmation email to ensure you are not a spambot. If you do not reply within 48 hours you will not be registered.

5. We are real humans here. Admins can see your email address and your IP number. You are NOT anonymous. Flagrant abuse will result in a report to your ISP.

The overwhelming majority of people here do not need to read this, of course. This is a fantastic community of talent the like of which exists nowhere else on the web. We are respectful and adult. Let's keep it that way, okay?

Finally, if you want to change your username to your real name, just let any of the admins know. We'll be happy to do it for you.

Edited 27 September 2010 to add: Apparently four out of five applicants don't believe me about the name thing. Consider it an IQ test to gain admission. If you think you have been unfairly denied admission, email me, not Don. If you just really really have to use a screen name, email me about it before you register or chances are you won't get approved. Yes, there are lots of screen names here that aren't real names. They're grandfathered in or just got by me when I was feeling agreeable.