automatic swingguards and their accoustics

malan

I think of all the autos I build the swings are the most difficult . The guard needs to sit solid with no play against the liners when closed and solid against the bolsters when open with no play... can't count how many blades and guards that have gone in the trash in the process! Once everythings solid both directions I usually celebrate! .001 makes a difference.... the accoustics on swings when opening are sweet. they sound like a mini pump shotgun when cycling a shell quickly!

here are a couple more recent pieces

thanks for looking

Picture_046.jpg

IMG_0238.JPG

Giraffe_Swing_2_002onpage.jpg

I've always loved autos, the stiletto style the most.

I'm just starting fixed blades so I don't imagine a folder or auto in my near future, but those three are an inspiration to me.

Really like the swing guard shape.

very nice pieces!

what a pity that they are strictly forbidden in Belgium...:(

Man I like the last one,... all of them but the last one's sweet................

Can I have it ????

You would be my friend for life... :D

You're the same dumb pilgrim who I've been hearing for twenty days, and smellin' for three!

Very nice work!

One handed opening knives save the lives of many commercial fishermen per year in Alaska. (One of the most common ways to die on a fishing boat is to get one hand tangled in a net, line or hook that is on its way over the side. If you can't get to your knife and cut it quickly you find yourself in the water before you know it.)

Unfortunately, due to illogical laws, the most effective one handed opening method (spring auto) is not allowed.

You really have to wonder about the rationale behind such a law: "Hmm. This knife is sharp and deadly. Someone could kill someone with it. But look! THIS knife is sharp and deadly AND it has a spring!! Someone WILL kill someone with it! We must outlaw these."

It's perfectly legal to carry a sword in Alaska (really!) but not an pocket knife that opens with a button. I just scratch my head over these things.

Grins,

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

thanks to all you guys! made my day

on the 1st the scales are apple coral ...... the 2nd .....scales are real malachite cut from a slab the customer I built it for sent me. I broke the first 3 button/safety side scales drilling the button hole. I used a diamond bit w/ water but still too fragile. Finally got it done after epoxying the blank to a piece of spacer... I spent a week on the scales of that knife....first piece I've ever done using an actual gemstone for scales ....probably the last.. 3rd piece....scales are giraffe bone with a nice single line of checking through the center

appreciate the nice words!

Edited by malan

Very nice work!

One handed opening knives save the lives of many commercial fishermen per year in Alaska. (One of the most common ways to die on a fishing boat is to get one hand tangled in a net, line or hook that is on its way over the side. If you can't get to your knife and cut it quickly you find yourself in the water before you know it.)

Unfortunately, due to illogical laws, the most effective one handed opening method (spring auto) is not allowed.

You really have to wonder about the rationale behind such a law: "Hmm. This knife is sharp and deadly. Someone could kill someone with it. But look! THIS knife is sharp and deadly AND it has a spring!! Someone WILL kill someone with it! We must outlaw these."

It's perfectly legal to carry a sword in Alaska (really!) but not an pocket knife that opens with a button. I just scratch my head over these things.

Grins,

--Dave

Dave........no kidding .....couldn't have said it better

nice work, i really like the last one.. thanks for sharing.

chris.

i could complain but who would listen.

chris.

it's the same way in WI, dave. you could carry a claymore if you wanted, because it's not *consealed*, but having a fishing knife with a spring is a deadly hazard. e.e amazing.

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel