Most Recent Knife

Dan Scott

Just started this knife around a week ago to go as a sister blade to a sword I just made. They both slightly follow the same design. Of course, I have learned SO much from making that sword (my first) that this knife is going to surpass it by far I think. Anyway, I'm designing it as a highly functioning cutter meant for bushwhacking and as a camp utility knife. I have a thing for knives that have a very large tip then taper to the handle in terms of width. Of course, the thickness along the spine tapers normally from guard to tip.

My question is about putting a handle on this thing. I know the shape I want, and have ground it all out and sanded the blank, but I'm not sure exactly how to affix the handle material to the tang. I have always used nylon cord wrap handles in the past and this is the first knife I've made on which I'll be using a Micarta handle. I have a general idea of how to shape the Micarta and affix it with pins, but I have a few ideas in my mind about how I want to use the pins and make the handle as best I can. Normally, I would just experiment until I found something that worked, but in this case, I can't afford that much Micarta, so I need to get this right the first time. If anyone has experience with Micarta handles, I would greatly appreciate learning the exact method by which you affix the handle pieces to the blank.I am hoping to be able to just sandwich the tang with two Micarta pieces.

Thanks! More pictures of this will be up as soon as I get the handle on and have a chance to do all the other necessary finishing procedures for it!

First picture is the piece of stock I used to make the blade. At this point, it's dimensions are 3/16'' x 1.75'' x 17''. And yes, I was forging in sandals and shorts that day for some strange reason.

blade2.jpg

This picture was taking after the first hammering. It is the only one I have of the blade while I was hammering it unfortunately. At this point, I have got a bit of the curve I eventually put into it and have drawn out only half of the blade to the thickness I was going for.

blade3.jpg

This is the blade after all the forging and a sanding to 80 grit. I ground out the tang and the bevel. I also ground a bit of the blade all around just to get the shapes and proportions right.

blade4.jpg

Another picture of the blank blade. This is not yet sharpened.

blade1.jpg

Edited by Dan Scott

hi, just rough the part of the micarta that will go on to the steel with some 60grit sand paper this gives the epoxy something to stick too.. scrape the tang up too.. wipe down with some acetone or whatever to remove oil.. and id drill the pin holes first in the tang.. put some tape on the tang and play around to get what pin pattern you want.. then clamp one piece of the micarta to the tang, and drill the holes.. glue the piece on, put the other piece of micarta on and drill the holes through.. and glue her up.. i probably would not even worry about peening the pins id use some larger pins for your project.. you have a lot of meat on your tang. and then after the glue is dried sand her down.. lots of ways to do this. this is just one way.

chris.

i could complain but who would listen.

chris.

hi, just rough the part of the micarta that will go on to the steel with some 60grit sand paper this gives the epoxy something to stick too.. scrape the tang up too.. wipe down with some acetone or whatever to remove oil.. and id drill the pin holes first in the tang.. put some tape on the tang and play around to get what pin pattern you want.. then clamp one piece of the micarta to the tang, and drill the holes.. glue the piece on, put the other piece of micarta on and drill the holes through.. and glue her up.. i probably would not even worry about peening the pins id use some larger pins for your project.. you have a lot of meat on your tang. and then after the glue is dried sand her down.. lots of ways to do this. this is just one way.

chris.

Hi. Thanks Chris!