Just lost my job.

Sam Salvati

Lost my job today, was fired because the store and our region is doing terribly.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Sorry to hear it, Sam. Are you still going to Ashokan? Are you giving any thought to smithing full time?

-Todd

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

Nice career move Sam, and since everyone is saying how sorry they are that you lost your job. I say it is one door closed and three more just opened, get that unemployment and draw it for the next year and forge blades during that time. I did it and man it is wonderful. So I expect to see more swords from you.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

That definitely sucks, man, but like John said above--go full-time in your bladesmithing for a while! You are already doing great things, and now you have time to perfect it.

Sam, It may not seem it at this moment, but a layoff could be,and was the best thing that ever happen to me. Took advantage of the time and found bladesmithing. Never looked back. Hope all works out for you. Take care. Wade

Wade

Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.

If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.

Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

Sorry to hear that Sam, Something good will come from this.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

Sam, Sorry about the job. The good news is you got ahead of the game with your tools while you were working. Dont forget I have a big shop down in Arkansas if you want to come hang out with the Arkansas Bladesmith Mafia. The shop is a couple hours from Washington, after you get your current situation worked out we can talk about it if your still interested.

About the only thing you would have to put up with is two Lamas and the odd Rattlesnake.

What can I say but it sucks. Not only been there and done that but I'm doing that again. At least I have my pension from the reserves to help me through. Good luck to you and try not to let it get you down.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

sorry to read that Sam!

loosing his job can be terrible but can be also the start of a new life

don't be effrayed to see the future in front of you and don't forget :

YOU CAN DO IT !!! :lol::rolleyes:

Sam,

I'm sorry to hear your about your job.... Most of us have been there and done that.... I hope you qualify for unemployment .... and I hope you have all your tools paid for already....

Dick

Just going to have to try and keep your chin up Sam, and dont take it personally.

Everything is a mess work / ecconomy wise at the moment, and it will be a while before it straightens out, but it will all come good eventually.

Try and stay positive in your search for a new job, and hopefully you can make a bit of an income from metal in the mean time!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support, I really really appreciate it. Fastenal was the best job I ever had, made some of the best friends, and had some of the best experiences in my life so far.

Mike, I will look into that school for sure!

Bryan, It is definately open as one of my options, cannot thank you enough for the offer.

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots