Possible Online Auction for Knives

John Smith

Ok guys and Gals I am working on an online auction just for edged weapons. What I need are possible top level catagories and 2nd level sub catagories maybe even a 3rd if needed. I know there are hundreds of types of blade and swords. What I want to do is keep it simple for the average knife maker to submit his or her work and for auction.

So what I am looking for is input from you the community of knife and sword makers. If you were to go to a knife and sword auction site what would make it easier for you.

This site is not for profit only you the knife maker makes any money, we the Admins make nothing. All I want to do is to make a place for us to sell out wares. I will not devolge any more info than that, as I am beta testing a site now. I am trying to break it, and at some point I will open it to you the public to test before we go live.

So what I need are possible 1st, 2nd and 3rd level catagories and sub catagories I would preferr not to go any deeper than 3 levels.

I also know that there are about a dozen or more of these going on. And again I state that No one but the seller is going to make money if any money is made for the site, it will be through Advertising.

All we want to do is make an enviornment for you the custom makers to, one showcase your work and to sell it. This is not going to be a place for commercially made stuff. And I will monitor it closely, or until we can get other Admins onboard.

Heck I am not even sure you guys will like it.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

I would think these would be good cattegories ( but, just IMHO): Swords, Daggers, Single-edged, Axes, and Fighters.

sub categories could be something like: Japanese, European, Cooking, double edged, single edged, Greek, Roman, Midle-eastern, and Chinese (just a conglomerate). If you did a 3rd level, I would think it would be maker. I think it is a really good idea.

Matthew Dempsey
Archangel Blades
archangel.knives@gmail.com
Ironwork
Custom Knives

https://www.facebook.com/archangel.blades

Well Matthew I thought the same thing but started really looking at what the bladesmithing community in general does and it is a very diverse area. And I am sure if we set up catagories some one is going to say hey this should be here and this should be there. So this my way of giving everyone a chance to contribute to it. So we get it right the first time.

So Mat keep going I want to get this site up and running with in the month.

And Mat I want to stay away from singling out one maker over another. I am sure we will have a section or two that highlights a maker but I do not want anyting permanant.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

I might go with something like fighters and users as two main categories and then go into

swords / EDC

daggers / kitchen

axes / machetes

spear / axes

then go into sub categories of those like Chinese,Greek,Roman,etc. or something along those lines would be nice.

Edited by Isaiah Lake

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

Ok

That is fine now put a certain Country with a type of blade. That is the challange.

I mean it is the diverse nature of what we do. If we are going to have catagories then lets start with the top level main catagories. And then once we have them we will start the 2nd level catagories, thismay be easier to organize.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

How about,,,

historical

modern

fantasy

jm

Blade

The blade, elegant
Slicing through the sweet, warm breeze
with a precise hit.

Sam Wands (10 years old)

Gold for the merchant, silver for the maid;
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at their trade.
Good! Laughed the baron, sitting in his hall;
But steel---cold steel---shall be master of them all!

I suggest something even simpler than blade type or historic location, and simply state the functions of the knives.

Fighting knives, utility knives, cooking knives and art knives. I'd say that pretty much covers everything, any kind of fighting knife, dagger or otherwise killing tool in one catagory, camping knives, EDCs and simple folders in utility knives, etc etc. That way people who don't understand knife terminoligy can understand what they're buying or why.

I'm inspired, and aspire, before some of you retire, to work with steel and fire and make tools that you'll admire.

Why so many styles?

I imagine if it caters purely for the blade enthusiast, pretty much most of us know what we're looking at.

I don't see that a new site will create such a high demand for product that you will need to sub-catagorise everything.

10(for example) new auctions a day is not going to be difficult to search through.

If it were me, which it isn't, I'd make the catagories - Swords/axes/polearms, Knives, Miscellaneous/blade related. Maybe differentiate between fixed blades and folders in the knife section but only if the supply becomes high enough.

Incorporate a search engine so that a buyer can specify a search criteria. That way the seller can add specifics to their auction title to narrow it down. Much less work for the site admins. Go to the 'knife' section, search 'fixed fighter' and read the results.

I know for me when I scan ebay, I get lost in all the sub-catagories and give up most of time.

There it is catagorised up the wazoo and yet you still see all sorts of different kit in each section.

How about three top categories with sub categories?

Top cats:

1. Art Blades

2. Hand Forged

3. Stock Removal

Subcategories:

1. Swords

2. Single edge knives

3. Double edge knives

4. Everyday carry / utility

5. Kitchen

6. Miscellaneous

Do you think you'd want to add a section for knife-related services and supplies?

Great guys I am seeing what looks like the makings of a decent Blade Auction. This site is inspired by actual bladesmiths and I want actual bladesmiths to have their input so I can make sure it is going to say the right stuff. So please gents and ladies keep the ideas flowing. And yes knife related and supplies is going to be there. But no commercial blades at all no mass produced blades, only hand forged and or stock removal blades. And yes I know the Chinese knock off of Japanese blades say hand forged, and I must say I am willing to put that statement to the test.

I hope I am making this clear so everyone who has input knows that. This site is for you and the customers.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Just my .02, but I belive in the kiss principle. Fixed, folder and other break down from there into so many possibilities you could sub catagorize forever. I would start with those three and see how demand shapes it from there. Good luck ,I'm looking forward to it.

Reed in the Wind Forge

Which ever way the wind blows is cool with me

FWIW, epay has

Accessories

---Armor & Shields

------New

------Used

---Books

------New

------Used

---Boxes & Cases

------New

------Used

---Displays & Plaques

------New

------Used

---Sharpeners

------New

------Used

---Sheaths

------New

------Used

---Other

------New

------Used

Axes & Hatchets

---New

---Used

Daggers

---New

---Used

Fixed Blade Knives

---Vintage (pre 1970)

---Modern (1970 --Now)

Folding Knives

---New

---Used

Movie & Video Game Weapons

---New

---Used

Spears

---New

---Used

Swords

---Chinese

---Fantasy, Film, TV

---Japanese

---Medieval

---Middle Eastern

---Military

---Rapier

---Religious

---Roman

---Other

Other

---New

---Used

Edited by Mike W

I'd go with:

Armor & Shields

Art blades

Axes & Hatchets

Daggers

Fixed Blade Knives

Folding Knives

Sheaths

Spears

Swords

---Chinese

---Celtic, Norse

---Fantasy, Film, TV

---Japanese

---Medieval

---Middle Eastern

---Military

---Rapier

---Religious

---Roman

Very interesting idea.

I agree with Mr Bray and Mr Taylor, start simple. If it becomes necessary, categorize.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Unless you are planning on auctioning hundreds and hundreds of knives it seems a simple division of Fixed Blades and Folding Blades would be less confusing. Then you could Tag every knife and put the Tags in your search engine. Something like this the power of your search engine is going to be the key to helping people find what they are looking for.

If your dealing with less than one hundred knives per month and I pick that number as a simple reference. You may consider having the Blades sent to you, you evaluate them and write your description, you take the pictures using the same lights, same camera settings, photographed to scale, then you post the knife for sale and handle everything till the sale is completed like all major auction houses do. This would be a hassle for you in some ways but it would be a much more professional service than say dealing with Ebay and nothing like the sales that are done on Blade Forums where they need two or three Mods just to handle all the bad deals and misunderstandings.

Do you already have a domain and software? Are you serious or just messing around with a good idea?

OK I see some good ideas surfacing. I may start the catagories soon. And Bryan I am serious, I have my own web hosting business, and I have all the software to do this. I will reply later to the rest of the comments.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

OK I see some good ideas surfacing. I may start the catagories soon. And Bryan I am serious, I have my own web hosting business, and I have all the software to do this. I will reply later to the rest of the comments.

What kind of software are you using? I'm working on a new project and doing some shopping myself. Ive worked with Joomla before and looking at a couple other CMS setups.

Well Bryan I use multiple software Joomla is what runs my web site. My Auction Software is by a private label. I merely running it for them so people can see it. I may change though to a new pack as the one I have is not really user friendly. Though I do keep my eyes open. for stuff.

If you have not heard of this web site, I will tell you Hot Scripts so if you have then you are good if not then you will be happy.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

NIce Bryan let me know if you find anything that can help.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

I think Noah's idea would work out well and think a search bar is a good idea also.

Edited by Isaiah Lake

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

How about three top categories with sub categories?

Top cats:

1. Art Blades

2. Hand Forged

3. Stock Removal

Subcategories:

1. Swords

2. Single edge knives

3. Double edge knives

4. Everyday carry / utility

5. Kitchen

6. Miscellaneous

Do you think you'd want to add a section for knife-related services and supplies?

I'm with Jim

Top cats:

1. Art Blades

2. Hand Forged

3. Stock Removal

You're the same dumb pilgrim who I've been hearing for twenty days, and smellin' for three!