September is prostate cancer awareness month

B Finnigan

I bet most of us here never knew this month was prostate cancer awareness month. Or that a blue ribbon is the official insignia for it. Both local and national news outlets have done very little to cover it. One in six men will be diagnosed with it and almost everyone knows a friend or family member that has dealt with it. I lost my grandfather from prostate cancer and now my dad is being treated for it.

Breast cancer affects one in eight women but gets full on round the clock coverage. Both are very treatable if found early and should be given equal coverage. Us guys are not always the best at preventive health care and a little more conversation and media coverage may save some lives.

Next month is breast cancer awareness month and historically my local news media goes bananas with nightly coverage of fund raising events and informational segments. When is the last time you saw any coverage about prostate cancer from your local news stations?

Maybe it's time to ask your local news outlets why the lack of coverage? They have dads, grandfathers, brothers, uncles and sons also.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Thanks for the heads up. Get checked!

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

I would be interested in what you guys think about why it gets so little coverage on the news compared to breast cancer? More men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer then woman with breast cancer. Both are effectively treated with early detection and should get equal coverage.

Politics?

Sexism?

Money?

Apathy?

Even the directors of prostate cancer groups don't really know and only have ideas.

Hmmmmm... They have boobs... we don't... nobody wants to see someone lose thier boobs! :P Okay so yeah I'm in the same boat as you my good american Brent, I've wondered on it a few times.

Alba Ghu Bra

Brent LaCroix

I think the entertainers get more pc mileage out of their favorite maladies. Kind of interesting, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a tv factoid. Five year prostate cancer survival rate in the US is a hundred percent, in the UK it's only 77%. Tough pill to swallow, when as noted, it's so treatable.

I'm fine with ladies first, Craig

I think all of the easily detected and effectively treated cancers should be given equal coverage in the news media. Knowledge is both power and health.

Not a really comfortable exam, BUT I would rather have one done opposed to the alternative. Lost my grandfather to this. Electrocutions (the stories I could tell about my grandfather and power lines) and heart attacks couldn't kill him, but this did. Take care of yourself gents.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

The reason a lot of us lost our grandfathers to it is they were not aware of it. And when it was found it usually had metastasized already.