Sign in to follow this  
Ben Potter

Cutlass blade test

Today I finished the rough polish on the cutlass I'm making and as always with a blade like this that means it is time to beat the tar out of it testing the temper. I turned a piece of 2x4 in to chips(as well as other flexing and impact test). Here are a couple of pictures of the result (the edge is about 1/32" and not sharp so the impact is greater and the cutting ability is less then on the finished piece.

cutlasstest1.jpg

cutlasstest2.jpg

Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Ooh, pretty! I love the fuller.

I also like the testing part with the big blades. B)

Ben that is absolutely gorgeous! :)

Cannot wait to see where you take this one.

Great looking blade. Please post the finished product when you have it. I will love to see it.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester

Ben -nice. I have always loved the cutlass as a no nonsense sort of weapon. Brutal and efficient, fast but strong...

what kind of grind is on it? i can't tell from the pics. Please show how you dress it up - I love your work in general and I really look forward to your interp of the cutlass.

Kevin

The steel is 8670M from Admiral, the business part of the blade is about 21" it is oil quenched (450f) and the fuller is at 600gt and the flats are at 120gt. the fuller's are hand cut. I'm going for a 1700's cutlass, single shell, full knuckle bow, thumb ring(if I can get the forging down)I'll post the finished piece.

Does anyone know if there are any trick to tying the twisted wire turks-heads that they used to put on the grips(more comonly on small sword and rapiers) I am well versed in the actual knotwork, but I haven't yet tied one in wire.

Just a heads up, I am working on this blade again and will be blogging the progress here:

blogheader.jpg

oh thats nice, cant wait to see it finished.