Surface Grinder Conversion

guarnera

If anyone out there has a harbor freight, or that type of surface grinder and has converted it to a 2"x72" belt, could you forward me some photo's that show how you did it. It doesn't have to be a step by step, just showing the conversion. Maybe some close ups, so I can figure it out. Also, do you still get close enough tolerances to do folders? or do you need to change it back to a stone for that? Thank you all very much.

You will need one of these: http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/images/bigpics/2fs7221.jpg and get a good mag-chuck, a good one.

There is a tapered spindle inside the drive arm on one of the little surface grinders that will need to be duplicated to accept the shaft for the Kalamazoo head. You won't need the base or the platen for the grinder. If you're lathe fellow does the right job it will index in perfectly and square with just that one part.

I must tell you that adjusting the tracking can be really exciting the first time. The belt slack is taken up by a spring inside the tube arm and when the knob is loosened the arm can rotate which is how you adjust tracking. I should also say that belt tracking is very much different between you spining the belt by hand and when that motor gets up to speed. It's not difficult, just very interesting. You should not be afraid of high speed belts when you get to that part. :blink: Now if Kalamazoo had first built these units with square tubing and a decent tracking mechanism, well it wouldn't be interesting anymore.

I have been very satisfied with my conversion and I still have all the original parts so I can always convert back to stones. But, you can change belt grits which are not as flexible as on the stones. All my folder parts come off this unit and will trim a thousandth accurately enough for me. It's not a hogging grinder but I have flat ground barstock for some folks to acceptable spec.

Good luck

Edited by Mike Blue

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

You will need one of these: http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/images/bigpics/2fs7221.jpg and get a good mag-chuck, a good one.

There is a tapered spindle inside the drive arm on one of the little surface grinders that will need to be duplicated to accept the shaft for the Kalamazoo head. You won't need the base or the platen for the grinder. If you're lathe fellow does the right job it will index in perfectly and square with just that one part.

I must tell you that adjusting the tracking can be really exciting the first time. The belt slack is taken up by a spring inside the tube arm and when the knob is loosened the arm can rotate which is how you adjust tracking. I should also say that belt tracking is very much different between you spining the belt by hand and when that motor gets up to speed. It's not difficult, just very interesting. You should not be afraid of high speed belts when you get to that part. :blink: Now if Kalamazoo had first built these units with square tubing and a decent tracking mechanism, well it wouldn't be interesting anymore.

I have been very satisfied with my conversion and I still have all the original parts so I can always convert back to stones. But, you can change belt grits which are not as flexible as on the stones. All my folder parts come off this unit and will trim a thousandth accurately enough for me. It's not a hogging grinder but I have flat ground barstock for some folks to acceptable spec.

Good luck

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

I also went the Kalamazoo route but somewhat different....Bought a used 2 x 48 grinder on Ebay..threw away the bottom wheel... Had a contact wheel made with a 1.25" hole and a .25" thick flange [these are the same deminsions as the wheels I used]...bolts right to the surface grinder Ez converts back to wheel,but I never do that...Great for Damacus billets and folders...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

I also went the Kalamazoo route but somewhat different....Bought a used 2 x 48 grinder on Ebay..threw away the bottom wheel... Had a contact wheel made with a 1.25" hole and a .25" thick flange [these are the same deminsions as the wheels I used]...bolts right to the surface grinder Ez converts back to wheel,but I never do that...Great for Damacus billets and folders...

Arthur,

Where did you get the contact wheel made. This is how the Caffrey conversion was done and it looks east. I've already made an arm like that to convert a coote grinder so I would have better belt tensioning control.

Tony G

Arthur,

Where did you get the contact wheel made. This is how the Caffrey conversion was done and it looks east. I've already made an arm like that to convert a coote grinder so I would have better belt tensioning control.

Tony G

http://www.contactrubber.com/detail.asp?c=378

If you can follow Ed's direction, the square tube-internal spring-better tracking-tensioner is a much better set

up. Mine is admittedly stock parts bolted on and used as is.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

I think I finally managed to send picture ....enclosed I hope are my conversons and the Bowie I won Best Fighter for at Denvermachinary 001.jpgmachinary 003.jpgmachinary 004.jpgmachinary 008.jpg and the Bowie I