Plastic backing

guarnera

I've been told when using mammoth tooth or pearl for folder handles its best to glue spacer material to it as a backing. Well the spacer material from knife supply places is .030 thick. that's almost a third the thickness of the handle material. I've been trying to find a plastic in different colors that's .010 or less with no avail. I can find colored plastic shim stock, but its color coded, so each color is a different thickness. Does anyone know where I can get a spacer material that comes in different colors that under .010 thick. I thought plastic would be good, but I'm not having any luck finding anything under 1/32" thick. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tony G

PopsSuply has black and red in .10 size. If you have it available on the thicker stuff , glue the spacer to the handle material, flip it over and mill the spacer down to the size you want it.

Plastic coffee can lids or similar work well for spacer/liner material. Rough it up a bit w/ 120 grit so the epoxy sticks better.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com