old world grinding meets the modern west

john marcus

the last pic is of murray carter grinding on his kaiten toshi....the rest are the belt grinder i am constructing.

John,

After reading about Sam's close call I am reluctant to take this baby over 300 rpm though it is rated at 1250 rpm max.. I need to get a new diamond point as it is about a hair off center, then weigh down the frame and turn on the hose and off we go. When I get around mechanical systems or natural systems having a lot of KE I get very uncomfortable. I am hoping this thing will save me a little on grinding belts and help me rough out and flatten.

Jan

John,

After reading about Sam's close call I am reluctant to take this baby over 300 rpm though it is rated at 1250 rpm max.. I need to get a new diamond point as it is about a hair off center, then weigh down the frame and turn on the hose and off we go. When I get around mechanical systems or natural systems having a lot of KE I get very uncomfortable. I am hoping this thing will save me a little on grinding belts and help me rough out and flatten.

Jan

it looks great !!!! one of the big issues with the japanese setup is the maintenance of the stone....

infinite edge cutlery

• 1 year later...

I'm waiting to hear more, too. It looks great for sure. MONDO contact wheel!

Please come and waste some otherwise perfectly good time, looking at my knives!

www.prometheanknives.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

John,

I hope you are still reading these posts...a good idea is hard to let go of..and thank you again.

When I was about to dump an old punch press ..I suddenly saw the flywheel as a large 17" contact wheel..pushed a 3" tow motor wheel onto a 1" motor shaft ( 3ph 850 rpm motor via VFD ). Ordered some cork belts, and all I need is a way of keeping the tension on the belt as it heats up and expands.It is going to be a fantastic addition to an old Burr King.
I will have a look in the boneyard for other flywheel things. I will post a picture soon.
Jan
Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Very cool. I had a big grinding wheel for awhile but never got the chance to get it up and running before I had to move.

This is awesome. Thought about it, never tried...so awesome to see somebody else make it happen!

I have to revisit this idea.

Thanks for posting!

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Here are some pics of the set up.There is a hub which bolts on to the outside of the flywheel and protruding out enough for me to have a v belt groove cut into it should I need to operate that way. I am hoping this is the correct radius for a hollow grind as seen on some of the Japanese style knives.

Unfortunately the VFD will have to be shared with a large stone which I will post later here.

Jan

P1060293.jpg

P1060294.jpg

• 6 months later...

as a wet wheel does it contain a water resivor of some sort or a sprayer to keep the belt lubericated to avoid heating the blade

http://bearclawknives.com/ my mentor and his friends once told me there os no problem that cant be solved with a fine cigar and a pot of coffee

you know some people just need a sympathetic pat.....on the head........with sledge hammer

Seven Points Forge by the Bay

• 1 year later...