Mini Air over Hydraulic press

So I am finally improving my shop for pattern welding and am in the market for a press. I need a smaller one as I only have 110v. I don't have access to a large enough welder to fabricate it my self, and am not fond of the ones HF has ready made. I was wondering if anyone here builds them for sale, I just need the frame and (possibly)dies as I can pick up the jack myself. You can PM me if you are interested, My budget is not huge, but I would be willing to trade some work for the press.

Thank,

Ben

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

So I am finally improving my shop for pattern welding and am in the market for a press. I need a smaller one as I only have 110v. I don't have access to a large enough welder to fabricate it my self, and am not fond of the ones HF has ready made. I was wondering if anyone here builds them for sale, I just need the frame and (possibly)dies as I can pick up the jack myself. You can PM me if you are interested, My budget is not huge, but I would be willing to trade some work for the press.

Thank,

Ben

Not sure what your budget is but I've pieced together a press starting with something like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Ton-Air-Floor-Hydraulic-Shop-Press-1-Year-Warranty_W0QQitemZ220491330615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33564eb437

I've already got more in it than this one is (minus the shipping). This one is in CA so I'm not sure if your near enough to pick up. I wish I had gone with something of this nature first. I'll try and post some pics of my frankenstein press. It works well but I need a larger jack. Now I'm using a 12 ton but think I need a bit more. I get about 4 or 5 cycles out of a heat though. Good luck to you.

CUSTOM KNIVES BY JL RHODES

JLRKNIVES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you. I thank God every day for the freedom to spend time with those I love, and time to pursue this craft.

"Adversity is a test for strong men."

"What one man can do, so can another."

"NO excuses, just do better next time."

Since I haven't heard anything about this I'll ask another question has any one ever used one of these? They got good reviews online so I'm thinking of going this rout:

20 Ton Air/Hydraulic press

Ben Potter Bladesmith

Or any other man's,

Of my work torn hands-

I bought the steel for mine. I think I paid about $45 or so for all of the square stock and some random bits that I made die out of. You can buy a used lincoln stick welder for 100-150. and the jack/ram is of cours around $80 or so. Total cost is the same as you buying one....except yours will be exactly what you want, it will be sturdier, and you'll have a welder :-) Every shop should have a welder. Heck, I built a welder to mount under the hood of the truck for "emergency" welding....one never knows. Check out your local craigslist for welders.

Anotehr option for welding is to get the HF flux cored wirefeed welder. I've got one of those too so I don't have to reverse polarity and re-spool my MIG welder when I want to do flux cored welding. They are cheap, and they do put out enough to make some decent welds. it is not fan cooled so you will likely trip the thermal overload switch a few times. it's duty cycle is not exactly great.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

That is a good Idea :blink: I hadn't thought about figuring the cost of a welder into things I'll look into it. Thanks

Ben Potter Bladesmith

Or any other man's,

Of my work torn hands-

I'm not sure where exactly these welders are in relation to you (I just searched LA) but they are out there. if you looks for a few weeks you ought to be able to get one of these for $100-150. These arc welders have no moving parts in them so they are very long lived and don't break easily. You can get an auto darkening helmet from Harbor freight for about $30. It isn't pretty, but it works just fine. The best thing about doing it this way is that you have a welder....everyone should have a welder.

A word of advice, don't waste money on the harbor freight arc welder. it's a POS. I've got one and even wired for 220v, it's very underpowered. The HF welding rod sucks too. I like lincoln rod....especially the 7018.

I've got a Lincoln 225 that I use for most of my arc welding and I like it quite a bit.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/for/1426093693.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/tls/1425300362.html

Anyways, this will get you looking in the right direction.

Good luck

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Thanks, I've been checking CL every day, The problem I have is that I only have 110v at the moment.

I have been thinking about getting a lincoln handy mig welder, it is a mig/flux-core welder that is 115v with out as nice of controls but it is $300 new, I was thinking that I could use it for other projects after. I heard that the lincoln 135 was a good choice but they are hard to find.

(I got my air over jack today :) )

Ben Potter Bladesmith

Or any other man's,

Of my work torn hands-

I also own one of these welders (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332691_200332691) and I am very happy with it. I wanted a new MIG welder as my previous wirefeed only did flux cored. I figured this way I could haev one for flux cored welding and one for MIG welding. This is almost identical to a lincoln. most of teh parts are interchangeable actually. Apparently there was some sort of legal issue brought up by lincoln regarding patent infringement or something. I"m not sure if its true or not, but I know the welder works well. it is fan cooeld and I have not yet tripped the thermal switch in it. I've had it for about 3 years now.

I grew up welding and have more welders than anyone really needs to have, but I like them. I use almost all of them regularly.

225A buzz box

cheapie 110v arc welder

90A flux core only wire feed

135A MIG

14hp 190A portable arc welder

200A onboard welder engine mounted in truck

200A onboard welder not mounted to an engine...just in case :-)

I'm certainly no expert or professional welder, but I have done my fair share of it. about 90% of the time I use the welder that I included in the above link. it's big enough to get the job done, but it is small enough to carry with you....and its 110v. I almost bought a 220V MIG, but I figured if the steel was thick enough that I couldn't do it with 110v, I'd just arc weld the darn thing anyways.

I'll look into the welder, Thanks for the tip it look better then the one I was looking at (I tend to over heat cheap welders <_< )

Ben Potter Bladesmith

Or any other man's,

Of my work torn hands-