Seax question

Kenon Rain.

Were there any small, (under 12in blade) seax's that were pattern welded? I really want to try making one, but am far from confident enough in my skill to do a long pattern welded sword blade. I particularily like the style that has a blade profile that comes to a gradual point like a large cooking knife. if thats not enough description I can find a picture somewhere. I just don't like the ones that have a sharp angle on the spine of the blade that makes the point.

thanks

A seax doesn't have length limits as far as I know and even if it did you can always make something original. Pattern welded is just fine also; that would make it all the better. I would say that unless you are doing a replica of a certain blade then you don't have to worry about making every single detail line up with something else. It is your knife so do what makes you happy.:)

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

Were there any small, (under 12in blade) seax's that were pattern welded?

I really want to try making one, but am far from confident enough in my skill to do a long pattern welded sword blade. I particularily like the style that has a blade profile that comes to a gradual point like a large cooking knife. if thats not enough description I can find a picture somewhere. I just don't like the ones that have a sharp angle on the spine of the blade that makes the point.

Then you may be disappointed, as patternwelding only occurs either in long saxes, or in broken back saxes. However, there are a few small knives with patternwelding that don't have an angled back. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking