Katana inspired sword

Sam Salvati

Finished this one up, not really where I wanted to go with this piece, but it was good enough to finish. Tactical styling and construction modeled after Wally Hayes' tac katana with a few changes, full tang with leather slabs glued on with black parachord wrapped and epoxied tight, satin finish, 5160 through hardened. Tsuba is 1/4" thick with the rim upset and some chiseled design not after anything specific. Rings like a bell when cutting. It is Hira Zukuri with moderate Niku. The whole sword is TIGHT.

l_1955c7811c9048b582522ff84280e281.jpg

l_5e3c91837f7a4b3680689f8c67c31a68.jpg

l_a642de55146a49039f52f104350b991b.jpg

l_eed8acc464c94b8eac77f251ccc6da61.jpg

l_c9bb29e1db384aa6a34294ee486c8e81.jpg

l_9cffd0eb2879497ab5d32ff4f5d1becb.jpg

l_232a58e058e342cf89d5d92e590eba2e.jpg

l_2959038a66e54131a709d0d7698d071c.jpg

l_d2efece77f3f47e99ce5c44a85b02a92.jpg

l_85aff88da78045ce933fc6dc86e6cf54.jpg

l_cf81c80746894f8a93116c81ba09565e.jpg

And yes I know Dick, not really one on my list of goals, but the new job threw a monkey wrench into that whole idea :D

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks Jared.

I hammered it in, but knew it would get negative curvature because I was quenching in Park's, so I curved it a bit more than what I wanted.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks Jared.

I hammered it in, but knew it would get negative curvature because I was quenching in Park's, so I curved it a bit more than what I wanted.

right on, what metal is the tsuba

Practice random acts of Viking

Mild steel.

Thanks James!

Very interesting--I'm really liking the thick, simple tsuba, and the handle looks like it's very comfortably shaped! It looks like the spine is pretty thin on it, but that might just be the angle/lighting--is it rounded? All-in-all very cool, Sam! Now you just need a saya for it :P

~Noah

Noah, thanks! I left the "nakago" undersize to compensate for the thickness of the chord wrap, with the leather slabs it gives it a comfy oval grip. The spine is a bit thin, it was originally ground as shinogi zukuri, but because the bevel got messed up I slack belted the shingo away so the spine is thin. Thickness tapers from 1/4" to about 3/16ths at the tip. The spine is peaked. Not sure if it will get a saya anytime soon, I will not have access to any of my own equipment with my new job keeping me 3 hours away from my own shop.

Specs are:

35 3/8" overall

26 3/8" blade including the integral habaki

25" of "blade" not including the integral habaki

8 3/4" of grip

1/2" of sori

Thanks guys! If my brother's GF has her camera I will see about getting a quick action video.

looks nice sam, im still trying to put out 1 piece , think I am done with the basic fire shaping for the moment, I just need to grind/hand sand and file shape. Then figure out where to go from there after I cut out that annoying crack that formed, that keeps rearing its ugly head. But nice work on the sword,

just use common sense.......dude your boned

Paul, keep at it, if it was easy everyone would do it!

ALan, thanks :D

Yes, but anything having to do with japanese type stuff you must be very careful to use proper terms or this guy comes after you:

grammar demon.JPG

No it's not a habaki, it's an integral habaki :D

Sam, that looks great! I was about to say that looks like something an unemployed fella could get a few bucks for, then I saw you have a new job. What's the new job? Congrats!

-Todd

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell