bamboo

C Daniel

hey, all. i'm thinking about how to handle and sheathe a dagger.

there's an abundance of yellow bamboo outside of where i live and i was wondering if anyone has tried to use this as a fit and finish material on anything but an eastern blade?

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel

Core drill it and fill it with accra glass epoxy.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

you're talking about the solid bamboo, right? i have the hollow stuff. it's not quite old enough to be solid. would i just fill it with epoxy, then?

Casey W Daniel

you're talking about the solid bamboo, right? i have the hollow stuff. it's not quite old enough to be solid. would i just fill it with epoxy, then?

No, he's talking about any bamboo. Bamboo of any age is segmented (and hollow) so before you work with it you need to drill out the walls separating the segments otherwise you'll end up with hollow spaces in the wood, where the epoxy could not flow, which can then crack/crush/split more easily.

cool, I hope it works out. I had the same idea once.

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Another possibility would be to use the wall of large bamboo like regular wood for scales or halves of a sheath. Subtle, plain grain, but it could be just the right look for the right project. Probably should dry it well before use. It's light tough stuff that I've also seen used to back up under other materials in multipiece handles.

Good luck with it, Craig

I have a large amount of Bamboo and have never used it for knife materials. I do use it around the shop for all kinds of cool stuff like gluing sand paper on it to reach hard to reach places and things like that. If I need a bamboo pin I just use premade chop sticks for that as they are already round.

If you do feel you want to use it, I would say, hollow it out, then take other strips of bamboo or wood and fill the void. Then fill the rest with epoxy and let it cure. I thought about doing this before but I have more options with other wood so I have never bothered. Bamboo, while very strong is also very soft and easily scratched.

Just mess around with it, who knows, maybe you can figure out something that works for you and share it with us.

bamboo is kind of difficult to dry without it splitting open.. its used a lot in fly rod building, tried that for a little while.. It's crazy expensive to import good flyrod bamboo too :P..

I've been toying with ways to make handles from bamboo.. thinner handle sticks with the end-grain painted, and allowed to dry out really slowly shouldn't check to terribly...

I was thinking of getting a dowel and cutting it in half to fill the hollow spaces in between, but I like Bryan's idea of just putting more bamboo haha

sence the end of the tang on the blade I'm getting is threaded, I'm thinking of putting a Slot for the whole tang in the first joint of the segment and a hole just big enough for the threads in the other and making it takedown construction with some mekugi (if I spelled that right)

Casey W Daniel

if the real bamboo doesn't work use the old Scott Slobodian method and just carve the bamboo look out of another wood...just a thought

The Taki no Kame stuff looks like black bamboo rhizomes. You can see where he trimmed off the radial feeder roots that grow on the rhizome culms. Rhizomes are solid and can be pulled up from underground. Anyone that has a lot of running bamboo will have a lot of trimmed rhizomes, unless they don't maintain it at all.

Black bamboo rhizomes:

http://www.shweeashbamboo.com/black%20rhizome.jpg

a poor picture from a forged knife i did years ago....

but the handle and sheath ware made from bamboo... (big pieces sold to made fountain in gardens - I made these flat with the backstand...)

bamboo little.jpg