The Sword of Septis!! On off the wall, crazy idea

Hello!!

Ok I am now starting to suspect my own sanity is compromised...maybe my brain is fried but I got this idea and being a cheap bastar...ummmm noooo...uhhh make that frugal....I couldn't let this steel go to waste...

I had to replace my drain snake...it's 125 feet long of 3/8" ID coil...made from 1/8"ish diameter round spring steel. It looks to me to be either 1060 or 1070 on the spark test...Hardens in oil A-OK, gets really HARD in water... so I got some "good stuff"...just don't know exactly what kind of good stuff....

Now it took me close to three days to straighten out that long coil and cut the steel into 18" long pieces.Boy my arms got tired from all the pulling, but I done did it.....

Anyway my lame idea is to weld this up into bars, weld those together and then make the Sword of Septis...

Here's what I got so far

DSC00484A.jpg

DSC00485A.jpg

DSC00487A.jpg

Now I have 6 more bundles to weld..all the same size (I counted the wires) and I know damn well that all I am doing is making really REALLY EXPENSIVE wire rope but hey..this shall be a blade of legend...handed down from generation to generation..The Sword of Septis WILL NOT BE DENIED its rightful place in the history of mankind... If all goes well I may have enough for two swords..the Sword of Septis and the Son of Septis...I dunno..still thinking about that....

I even know what I am going to call the steel when I am done welding it...taking it's origins into account and giving it all the respect it is so rightfully due..I am going to call it "crap-agane"...Only once in a generation does a sword like this get made...maybe not even then...

More as things progress...

See what happens when a bladesmith gets bored and has good spring steel laying about?? I need my head examined...

JPH

Edited by JPH

KR:

I think you posted before I finished the original post above....it's pretty self explanatory now...

JPH

I am on the way to play skiball so....I hope I don't run into one on the way there...

JPH

Could this be the start of the Sword of a Thousand Abominations? B)

And this is why I enjoy reading Dr. Jim's posts where I find 'em: he's not afraid to shake things up.

Hmmm, a scepter... maybe a war mace? Like Sauron's from the LOTR movies...

Finally another exciting topic to watch.:lol: Cant wait to see the finished Product,yay

.... and twisted... I get it...

Jim, be sure you twist it the right direction for the northern hemisphere - don't want that Coreolis thingy opening up yer billet!!

I'm gonna go make some popcorn - this is gonna be good.

r

Jim,

I'm really afraid to ask where you where when you got your inspiration?!

You are one sick twisted ..... and this is the funniest, coolest outside the commode idea I have ever heard!

Please don't strain to hard pounding all that stuff together.

Hello:

Well I have two of the faggots welded into round bar..it was a bit of a PITA but once I managed to get the ends to stick it wasn't too bad...had to twist it up tight to reduce airspace..as it is they came out to be about 7/8" round. I am going to flatten those out and then weld them together today and maybe do another cut and weld just to make sure everything "sticks" on the inside. I will know more once I get these two pieces stuck together...

Now this stuff is acting like 1060/1070 under the hammer and I know it oil hardens from the tests I did..It also gets to the point of extreme brittleness in water so I think I am going to stick with oil...Besides oil hardening steel makes sense from a manufacturing point of view as a spring....Now I just dunno as yet what I am going to make, I am using these as the test piece as I have 5 more faggots to play with once I get this hammered out in my head. Like I said in an earlier post I am making really expensive wire rope and the grain/pattern should be very similar to that...I use to do this with W-1 drill rod when I got a whole bunch of 1/4" dia round for 11 cents a pound scrap price back in 1982...Just a surprize that there was this much material in a sewer snake!

As to where I get my ideas from?? I have no clue..I am just too cheap to throw away good spring steel I guess....I have all sorts of spring steel this or that in my "mystery metal" pile...usually that stuff is destined for tooling like punches and drifts...sometimes a small knife or three....besides it's a break from the usual stuff I do here every day and rigt now that is good for my sanity with all the other stuff I have going on out here....

So back out to the studio for me...and back to the Quest for Septis!!

JPH (I made a file out of an old knife once...)

Edited by JPH

I know a plumber who would LOVE this. Hey you could put some oosik on the hilt, and give to your worst enemy. You could laugh on the inside "LOL made that from crap snake and walrus penis you son of a..." :lol: But really that is cool. Never thought of using a snake for steel.

Hello:

well this will be the last photo installment on the Sword of Septis until my hand heals...so here we go...

DSC00489A.jpg

These are two of the faggots welded and drawn out prior to the cleaning down to "bare steel" and welding together.

DSC00490A.jpg

This is the welded bar of the two pieces above...now I am pretty much dead in the water here thanks to my own being an idiot and so I doubt that there will be any real progress at all on the Sword of Septis until I get my meathook healed up a bit more...BUT...not to fear I SHALL RETURN...

So once I get back at it hammer and tonmgs I will post more photos... At least now I have some time to ponder what I am going to do with all this septic steel...

JPH

Edited by JPH