Petr Florianek

narrow sax from france

Petr,

I agree , with Alan, nice job.... I think your engraving came out to be very effective.... I have a question I was mulling over for a while and was thinking about it lately cause of the postings on this forum...

Are the symbols that are used on blades a message to the enemy or to the friend? or maybe some of both? From what I have seen it is all three.

and sometimes to the god/gods they serve? Dick

Petr, That came out with a strong character. Cogratulations!

Looking forward to what it may look like with a scabbard.

:D

Hey Jake! I didnt darken it, its quite deep and as i use wet sanding, there is some oxide coating inside, not a rust. Its little ligther in person than in pics

Beautiful work Petr!

You really have a feel for making things of this long-gone era of history that I both admire and honestly envy just a bit...

Well done.

very good job Petr :D

a nice companion for the Merovingian saex!

congrats!

Hi Petr,

I bow down to u guys who do such beautiful engravings on the blades :)

i have one question though , can u post more details about how the grip was made on this sax.i personally love to make leather grips and this looks something very different.

Hello! i managed to have some work done, so i could make this scabbard. Core is linden wood and i covered with cow hide. Pattern is incised and tooled with antler tine. Flap is glued with bone glue as is the core. I had a crazy idea to dye the leather with french wine as it frankish sax, it worked out great. let the pictures speak:

narrow_sax_done1.jpg

narrow_sax_done2.jpg

Hello! i managed to have some work done, so i could make this scabbard. Core is linden wood and i covered with cow hide. Pattern is incised and tooled with antler tine. Flap is glued with bone glue as is the core.

Nice scabbard!

I had a crazy idea to dye the leather with french wine as it frankish sax, it worked out great.

Yeah, why not. Even if they hadn't invented that yet, at some point during a party someone would have spilled wine on his scabbard, and the only way to deal with that is staining the whole scabbard the same color with more wine:)

Petr, this is great stuff. I like the snake engraving the best. But, the wine stain was inspire, too. Its good to see you take chances and work outside what is comfortable.

kc

very nice work, Petr!

I like very much the scabbard and how you died it! :D

I don't know which kind of French wine it is, but I can say if it comes from East of France and Bordeaux that the colour will become paler and if it comes from the South of from Bourgogne it will word browner....

Edited by Jacques Delfosse

Nice package, Petr.

You brought it out all to the same level. Well done.

I really like the idea with wine! I wonder what time will do to it.

Have you rubbed on molten wax on top? It may darken the color. Not sure that is a good thing, but it could bring out more gloss in the leather. Not sure this is something I would advice you to to. Just throwing out an idea.

thanks to all!

Peter - its cold waxed now, i will get more coats as the wine is little bit to magenta-ish to my taste.

Edited by Petr Florianek

Very fine work, Petr! B)

I love the wine stain, too. Maybe some Magyar "Bull's Blood" wine to darken it up a little more? :lol:

thats beautiful petr. your work always has so much spirit. it dosent seem to mater what you make, it always seems alive.

Cheers and keep up the great work! Jeff

Alan - Egri bikaver is good, but i wanted to stay in the realm of Franks :-)

Jeff, for a little moment i feeled proud! thanks for that!

I want to say that its nor a replica, its recreation and my try to understand the essence of the weapon. Ornaments on the sheath are taken from lyre from grave from Trossingen, its the same period and style.

As its ready, i want to say thanks to you all for help, especialy Peter nad Jeroen! you kicked me!

Alan - Egri bikaver is good, but i wanted to stay in the realm of Franks :-)

Jeff, for a little moment i feeled proud! thanks for that!

I want to say that its nor a replica, its recreation and my try to understand the essence of the weapon. Ornaments on the sheath are taken from lyre from grave from Trossingen, its the same period and style.

Do you have pictures of this find?

As its ready, i want to say thanks to you all for help, especialy Peter nad Jeroen! you kicked me!

You're welcome! I much enjoy seeing the information turned into a great reproduction :) (now of course I should soon get back to finising mine :) )

here is a replica:http://www.davypatton.com/lyre1.jpg

my pictures are not so good, but agai, it was inspired adaptation, not replikating

great work petr you never cease to amaze me with your workmanship!!

cheers

bela